Existing Member?

Lily's Travels

Siboya Sunset

THAILAND | Saturday, 17 November 2007 | Views [1173] | Comments [1]

A few hours after we arrived in Krabi we checked into a hotel, had lunch and began checking our e-mails at an internet cafe. Lucy ran across the street to a travel agent. She soon returned with a new friend named Ash (the male version of Ashley). 

Ash told us he was building a resort on a secluded island called Siboya(many different spelling variations) which was about to open in a few days and we could be the first customers. He also told us we could kayak there in the mangroves where a family of monkeys lived.  Deserted island, kayaking with monkeys? We were sold... so we checked out of our hotel in Krabi and got in the back of a pick-up truck headed to Siboya.

We sat in the back of the truck with Ash and he told us about the Thai Mafia that mostly owns the Muslim island of Siboya. After a few hours we arrived at a dock in the darkness to wait for the long tail boat to take us to Siboya. On the dark boat ride it started raining, everyone was speaking Thai and I began to wonder if we would be robbed once we arrived to this secluded island. The boat came to a stop about a hundred yards away from the shore and let down the plank into the water. It was shocking at the time to be let out so far from shore and walk barefoot thru the water with our heavy packs - but a few boat trips under my belt now - that's how they do it here. 

Luckily the resort did exist and we were welcomed by the group of Farang and Thai people that were building Siboya Sunset. We sat down to a family style Thai meal before we found our bungalow. Good thing the beds were delivered that day!

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

please drop me a line regards sunset resort

  mr g reaper Apr 1, 2008 7:31 PM

About flower-lily


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.