Existing Member?

Wanderlust We've set up this journal so our friends and family can live vicariously through our insatiable wanderlust.

Bangkok: Buddhas, Baubles, & Baht

USA | Monday, 20 October 2008 | Views [510] | Comments [3]

I can't decide if I like Bangkok or not.  I love Thailand, but Bangkok is ....well... a little dirty...in more ways than one.  I've taken at least 3 showers a day since we've been here, not including pool dips and I still feel covered in grime.  There are hordes of men who come here just to be with Thai women~ I'm not easily shocked, but for some reason, this really bothers me... sigh.  But hey, other than that, it's great! Ha! Saturday we met up with Charlie again for a city/temple tour~ I think we walked at least 10 miles...we saw some gorgeous places, including the Grand Palace which is one of the gaudiest yet most impressive places I've ever seen.  We also saw the famous huge reclining Buddha statue~ I don't recall how big it is, but trust me when I say it's massive~ wait for the photos (or google it if you're impatient).  We've been getting massages almost every day and our feet still ache~ soooo much walking~~~ so much to see.  This morning we went to the weekend market which is essentially miles of street vendors selling everything from fake designer purses to tiny puppies.  I didn't buy either one.  I stumbled upon a vendor who had vintage japanese & vietnamese military tour jackets~ the ones with the cool embroidery of tigers and volcanoes, etc~ unfortunately, they were all extremely small sizes and it hurt my brain to walk away without buying one anyway.  I did get a few rhinestone barrettes and a pair of pants~ oh and we drank about 10 gallons of water~ it's ridiculous how easy it is to get dehydrated here.  Oh and that brings me to my other favorite thing about Bangkok... the floor toilets... yes.. a toilet seat about 4 inches off the floor.... good times.  You have to pay 3 baht to use it and another 5 baht if you want toilet paper~ thats about 10 cents or less.  I can't wait to get to Hong Kong.  We leave tomorrow morning.  I will definitely visit Thailand again, but next time I'm going to the islands~~ this city girl is going country.

Comments

1

Glad all is well.........glad I'm not with you using those toilets......probably would not be able to get back up!! :)

Did you feel the earthquake. I heard a small report that there was one on the end of the Pacific Rim. NOt sure where, but that no one was hurt or places damaged. It may have been an uninhabited area.

Miss you more. Keep on having fun. Love, Mom

  Florida Mom Oct 21, 2008 6:01 AM

2

you know damn well you've peed in creepier places!!! i wish i would've been there to see the huge Buddha, that's cool. can't wait to hear how you like Hong Kong, i have a client that lives there between visits to MD to get her hair done. miss you guys, can't wait to here more stories. i'll get some work done when you get back so's i can listen to you gab about it! xo

  kathy Oct 25, 2008 3:57 AM

3

Today is 10/24 and you are leaving to return home where we miss you and can't wait to talk to you. Have a wonderful trip back.

Love form all of us!

  Florida Mom Oct 25, 2008 6:07 AM

About fishpaw


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.