Existing Member?

my traveling shoes

Limbo-living for beginners...

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 4 April 2011 | Views [291]

I've moved to England. Kinda. Sorta. Maybe?? Well I'm here and while on the one hand still living out of one suitcase and have no idea where I'm going to be living in 3 weeks, on the other hand, working 9-5, paying bills and struggling to find a bank that is open on a Saturday. You can see why I'm feeling so ambiguous.

I decided about a month ago that I really needed to use my as-of-yet-still-ongoing unemployment to develop some skills. To challenge myself. To do something more mentally taxing than filling in the blanks on an application or coming up with new and interesting ways (???) to format my CV. You see, I've had this fear deep down that if/when I finally do come across gainful employment, my brain will pour out of my ears and flee from all the unexpected effort.

So I decided to take a course. I signed up for the one-month CELTA course to learn to teach English. Because you have to start off easy right? And after all, I already speak English, right? And that's half the battle here, RIGHT?? Hmmmmmm

To be fair it's not as though they didn't warn me it would be this intensive. On the website. And during the interview. And in the acceptance letter. And in the NAME of the course. I guess I just didn't believe them? But here I am, after my first week of 14 hour days, and difficult coursework, barely keeping afloat and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

Because you see, limbo-livers (not to be confused with limbo-lovers, not the same thing) thrive in this space known as transient structure. Most of us are essentially petulant new-borns. Yes it's nice to be able to stretch and switch up the view and all, but after 9months somewhere, it's hard to get quite comfortable anywhere else.  So this course has offered me and my poor limbo-living head some structure.  It's become my swaddling blanket. And while I can't wait for the day I can toddle off towards some new adventure, this will do quite nicely for now.

Tags: celta, england, limbo-living

About fiona


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.