Existing Member?

'Cos we're leaving on a jet plane ASIA ... ready or not, here we COME!

Good Morning Vietnam!

VIETNAM | Monday, 4 February 2008 | Views [1007] | Comments [2]

3 weeks in Vietnam has been a definite eye opener... surprisingly, we're still not sick of Pho, despite having it almost everyday! "I luv Pho 24!"

From Hanoi, to Halong Bay, to Hue, to Hoi An, to Nha Trang, to Ho Chi Minh City, and finally the Mekong Delta... No place was alike... but yet similar! As the locals like to say... "Same Same, but different!" ;)

Felix and I have been reading a lot on the Vietnam War, and one book I would definitely recommend is "The Girl in the Picture," by Kim Phuc. It definitely made our visit to the Cu Chi tunnels that much more poignant. Those tunnels are insane! If you didn't have claustrophobia before, you would after going in these tunnels. Felix and I only managed to attempt the first leg, and even though I really wanted to do the other two sections, I honestly think I would have passed out. It was tiny, and to think during the bombings, people would be in these dark airless tunnels for hours on end. It was such a pointless war! So much suffering... for NOTHING.

Our last stop in Vietnam was HCMC, and to be honest, I think it was my least favorite place in Vietnam, but having my pal from high school Suzanne, made all the difference. She absolutely spoiled us rotten! She wined and dined us, and put us up for 5 days... in one of the best places we have stayed in since our tour of Vietnam started... =) It was awesome to get back in touch with her... you know... you really start to treasure those friendships where you just pick up where you left off... even though the last time I saw her was 4 years ago! Suz... thank you for your hospitality! You made HCMC very special to me... and in all honestly, it was cause of our visit with you! ;)

Next stop is Cambodia!

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hey Steph and Felix!

I'm so happy you got to visit the Cu Chi Tunnels as well that was the one place that really was an eye opener. I did go to the 2nd portion of the tunnels.. and i'll tell ya it was tough! But NO WAY was i going to do the third as well.

Leslie

  Leslie Feb 10, 2008 7:51 AM

2

Orghhhh...that's really sweet :) I'm glad that I made the trip to HCM worthwhile. Now you know what I wanna get outta here. HAHAHAHA!

  Suzanne Wong Mar 27, 2008 4:07 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.