Existing Member?

On the road again

Day 175: Boarder crossings

MONGOLIA | Saturday, 9 July 2016 | Views [208]

We woke to a different landscape this morning: mountain ranges and a desert-like plains.Today we cross the boarder into Mongolia. The first big stop was 4 hours, had passports, room and customs check. We were able to hop off even though there wasn't much there to do, so I watched the trains being disconnected and reconnected after they lifted them for the new tracks. The train moved again but only for 15mins and stopped for another 3 hours on the MOngolian side where we had passports taken for inspection, customs check and immigration forms to fill out. Military stands and salutes the train as it comes to a stop and remains outside the whole time they do the checks...we were unable to get off this time plus they close the toilets for security reasons. I don't know how the old ladies in our carriage didn't pee their pants - I counted 6 cups of tea each while we were stopped. We watched Inbetweeners to pass some time and when we went to brush our teeth and get ready for bed they'd locked the toilets again for another 3 hour stop...I feel asleep though.

About excellentadventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mongolia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.