Existing Member?

On the road again

Day 160: Midsummer in Helsinki

FINLAND | Friday, 24 June 2016 | Views [198]

It was a wet Midsummer public holiday in Finland today but that didn't stop us trying out the Helsinki bike share. Rode to Sompasaari - an old wharf/warehouse district, with skate park covered in graffiti, old people doing graf and soon to be demolished to make way for crisp, new, shiny buildings. Temmu, our host, recommended it because of it's uniqueness and the fact that it won't be there for much longer. It includes a public suana (quite literally a wooden house) - Sompasauna is free to use and run by volunteers. Rode around to the zoo entrance, had a coffee and enjoyed the grey view of the harbour. Kept going through the rain down to the market, bought a tradition Finnish dessert (sweet curd) which brings us to the quote of the day "Tastes like cheescake? It has lots of protein, so is actually healthy for you" (market lady)....well we were sold after that, not that it made any sense ;) Jumped on the ferry across to Suomenlinnan Fortress (Trip Advisor's #1 thing to do here....cough), spent a few hours wondering around after eating our delicious high protein curd cake. Back in town we discovered more districts (stumbled upon random, large statue of guy peeing POD), but it was quiet due to the public holiday, not many shops open and people flee to country cottages. B grade Indian for dinner with the JW crew.

About excellentadventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.