Existing Member?

On the road again

Day 62 v2: Coca leaves

PERU | Tuesday, 29 March 2016 | Views [331]

Up at 3am to hot coca tea and a dark sky full of stars. Porridge, pancakes and fruit salad for breakfast (I told you it was glamping!!!!) Edwin and Jimmy our guides told us that due to the 3rd campsite being unstable we would need to do the trek in 3 days (instead of 4) and stay in Aquas Callientes town the last night...so we had a BIG day of trekking today: 12 hours of walking, covering 16km to Chaquiqocha, with a total elevation up and down of 2550m. The total up elevation we trekked today was 1565m!!!! The highest peak was Dead Woman's Pass and I balled my eyes out when I reached the top....it was a really hard slog, all uphill. Coca leaves came in handy, all the porters chew on them and they do help with the altitude head spins. Just like sucking on green tea...not the best tasting but I needed em. You know what I'm going to say about lunch and dinner...camp site was cute but on hard, rough ground, so not what we needed after the big day...not much sleep. Mike's knee is holding up really well, especially because he is practically running the whole time (freak!).

About excellentadventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.