Existing Member?

My Travel Adventures

Halong Bay

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 20 January 2015 | Views [234]

An eerily beautiful boat trip in Halong Bay with epic scenery will definitely be a highlight of this trip. Would be great to see it in summer time with the sun shining but the fogginess gave the trip a 'pirates of the caribbean' feel which is hard to beat.

Dinner was enjoyed in a very local restaurant in Halong Bay city where the beer (Bia Hoi) was $1.50 per jug and 5 dishes shared between 3 people was $5each. The great thing about being in a tour group and having a local guide is being able to experience amazing local places that you would never be game enough to try if travelling alone.

A couple of bizarre and slightly disturbing local customs that I have discovered along the way is:

  • Dogs and cats are eaten to provide good luck for a month (the only downside to the local restaurant was the caged dogs and cats out the back near the toilets. A few more jugs of beer and I think we all would have been ready to stage an activist breakout and rescue. Our guide's view is 'meat is meat and dog is delicious').
  • A very expensive wine is used as a traditional Vietnamese aphrodisiac. How? It's brewed with a king cobra with a scorpion in its mouth. Why? A crazy King that had 500 concubines.
  • The most expensive and apparently delicious coffee in Asia is made from weasel poo.

I'm sure there will be a lot more cultural experiences that will create shock and awe on this trip!

Off to Hue (pronounced 'hway') tonight on the overnight Reunification Express train!

About etak91


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.