Existing Member?

Posh Backpackers On Wheels Grace and Marie Therese's Round-the-World Adventure

Cusco and Lima

PERU | Friday, 14 December 2007 | Views [704]

Found our niche in cusco, landed on the doorstep of Bruce Peru, Greeted by one of the volenteers and straight away realised this was where we wanted to be for the next week...... together with five other volenteers, we made up the fab seven, who were to volenteer at schools and put smiles on the faces of the less fortunite kids around Cusco, Bruce Peru is an organisation set up to help disadvantaged kids get into mainstream schools, Our days consisted of 7.00am starts, putting breakfasts together and heading off to the three different schools around Cusco, 1.Tica Tica where Grace volenteered. 2.Huancaro where M.T. volentereed and 3.Puquin where two of the other girls volenteered. the school day consisted of Breakfast , brushing their teeth and hair washing and also not forgetting educcation 2 hours of maths and Art. we all got very attached to the kids and it´s an experience we´ll never forget and one of the highlights of our South America trip. But you all knowing me and Mt so well, and knowing how much we love to play, we brought play time into the evening, Loving the culture all around South America, we really got into the local culture in Cusco with Salsa dancing and we rocked Up town(bar) every evening, the local salsa pro´s swapping moves, salsa for Riverdance...... So sad to be leaving Cusco, but all good things must come to an end!!!

Left Cusco and bussed it on (for a change) to Lima, Arrived at the Flying Dog Backpackers Hostel, had a reunion with friends from Ecuador and partied till the wee hours...... Our new Ozzie buddy Skippy took us under his wing cooking dinners for us, wanting to fatten us up!!! Our flavour of the month is MOJITO and so delicioso, new drink for the Anchor/Riverside!!!! We manage to escape the bedbugs in the flying dog, cause as we all know Dutch people are selfish, the dutch girl knicknamed DUTCHIE named by Skippy named by MT and Grace, decided to beat us to all the bedbugs Thank God.... Dutchie was covered from head to toe in bites and not a pretty sight..........   

Here we are now in Ayacucho, visiting Angela Keane(a girl from Cahersiveen) and seeing all the good work she is doing, with kids of special needs, we are helping out at the clinic as best we can, Another great experience!!! tomorrow we leave for Vinchos, all the kids some parents and other nurses for an overnight stay, Next week we´re off to Buenos Aires for the festive season, party time!! Lotsa more updates after........ Have a very Merry Christmas everyone and go easy on the booze, All our love Mt and Grace xx

 

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.