Existing Member?

EManating around the Globe

Paradise...

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 13 October 2008 | Views [348]

We've found paradise in a little hostel called Bungalow Bay on Magnetic Island. We're staying in our own little Bungalow and we even have a pet lizard inside. On the grounds are a campsite, pool, rest./bar, and koala reserve. Yesterday we fed the lorikeets. THey know that htey get fed at 4:30 every day so at 4:20 they all started squaking in the trees above. We had them landing on our shoulders, heads, pecking at us for food. They are really beautifully colored although sooo loud!

The highlight of the trip so far for me has been watching platypus swim in the river! They are a bit smaller than I expected but even more cute! We took a tour in the Eungella National Forest in Mackay and spotted two that were diving around in the river for food. I feel so lucky to have gotten to see them in the wild, and so close too.

After Mackay we went to Airlie Beach where we left on a Pirate ship for a cruise around the Whitsunday Islands. We got to do some awesome snorkeling. The coral in the Great Barrier Reef is brilliantly colored and it was scary yet amazing to see so many fish swimming inches underneath me! It's always been one of my dreams to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef.

Next we're headed to Cairns for a couple of days before we fly down to Melbourne. I have loved being in the woods and out to sea more than I expected but I am also excited to get back to the city. <3

About emmaroo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.