Existing Member?

Living on the Edge - a long way from the Edge

The VU Lodge

UGANDA | Tuesday, 25 June 2013 | Views [444]

I was going to put this in with a single blog post about getting here, but I feel like this lodge is so good it deserves a post all of it's own.

 

Located at 9000ft above sea level, on the perimeter of the Bwindi Inpenetrable Forest and National Parlodge front of the main lodge building looks over the forest onto the DRC which is located 50km to the west. The Rwandan border is not visible but is located 200 km to the South. If you are standing on the decking looking over the forest, the furthest hill visible you front of you is in the Congo. The region is mountainous and lush, steep green rolling hills covered in banana bushes, mango crops, maize fields and livestock are now basically boring scenery to me!

The lodge itself has one main building, and then several smaller buildings which surround it. The main building has three long trestle tales, a blackboard, a small bar and a lounge sofas with sofas. The walls are lilac and green and the floor is smooth (dusty) stone. Outside of the front door is a small veranda with a sofa and some chairs. A small lawn the separates the lodge from the decking and the fire pit. The decking is small and has some hand carved weights on it, and a small bar. The fire pit is surrounded by precarious chairs.

Around the lodge are bandas (sleeping huts) with bunk beds and shelves in them. Each bed has a mozzie net on it, a sheet and a blanket and pillow. Behind the lodge are 2 hygiene areas, with three flushing toilets a piece, 4 showers in each and two sinks. 

 

That's basically it, when I'm back in the Uk I'll post pictures!

Tags: bar, living, lodge, sleep

About emilycarp


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.