Existing Member?

Emily's Adventures

vienna

AUSTRIA | Sunday, 5 August 2012 | Views [587]

 

We boarded the bus at 8am ready to drive to Vienna for one night. We tried to change our Milan dates from 4 nights to 2 and in doing so our Prague booking was affected- increasing our nights from 3 to 9 nights. By the time we got hold of someone to fix this we had lost our seat on the Vienna to Munich bus- so in order to get to Munich on the dates we had originally planned, we could only spend one night in Vienna and get on the bus at 8am and head to Salzburg for 2 nights. We had never planned on going to Salzburg but we have decided to use this time to relax after such a busy almost 3 weeks. We got into Vienna at 5pm and checked into our hostel only to find we only had a booking for one - steph, and that they were full. We said we were desperate and they said that they could give us a 4 person room that had had a leak in the past, and as such, they don’t usually sell it. We said we would take it. The room was the nicest we had stayed in and the bit where the leak had been wasn’t an issue. The shower was heaven. We went for a 2.5 hour walk of the city to see all the churches and old buildings and ended up at cafe central. This is one of the original cafes of Vienna- where Sigmund Freud used to come and play chess- so it was a bit more posh than we were expecting. We only had shorts and t-shirts on. Well when we walked in I have never been so obviously looked up and down by a waiter in my life, but he told us to get take a seat- we were told to find our own table. We all ordered the wiener schnitzel- made with veal. When the menu says schnitzel with potatoes that’s what they mean. Here in Europe you don’t seem to get any vegetables or salad with any of your meals unless you order it on the side. So we all got a dinner plate size of schnitzel with a few baby potatoes on the side. As this was one of the pricier things on the menu- the waiter was a bit more attentive to us- see just because we are in shorts and jandles doesn’t make us tight arses- we even tipped. I also find it odd how in the places we have been fizzy drink is around a euro more expensive than beer or wine- they don’t encourage sobriety here. The restaurant had a man playing the grand piano- we felt very classy, even if we didn’t look it. The next morning we were on the bus at 8am and went through Grunau to drop a few people off. Grunau is an alpine town and reminded me of Arthurs or the Lewis pass. The hostel there was tucked up in the hills surrounded by bush and had the clearest river running down the front of it. We sat by the river for lunch- it was so beautiful and soothing to sit in the sun and take in the magnificent scenery. We all wished we were stating there for a bit. We got into Salzburg at 2pm and have just been relaxing. All us girls have the ´busabout aids´ which is a terrible dry cough that every second person seems to have- I’m sure it is circulating around the air-conditioning. When you are on a bus for 7-10 hours every few days it is inevitable that we would get it.

About emily_b


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.