Existing Member?

Emily's Adventures

Salzburg

AUSTRIA | Wednesday, 8 August 2012 | Views [588] | Comments [1]

We had cooking facilities finally!! we were so excited. we went to the supermarket down the road planning on making a stir fry- but they dont do any sort of flavour sachets at all. so to flavour or stirfry we would have to by individual spices. so pasta it was. spag bol to be precise. we sat in the hostel dining room with a rose at our table and a view of the river out our window. the thunder clouds started to roll in and we got hit with a massive electrical storm. it was ferocious- the lightening was so close together that the thunder was overlapping. the whole sky was lighting up. it was nice to be inside- all cosy with nowhere to go. we had an early night and in the morning went to the old town. the sun was once again out in full force. We walked along the river to find a craft market- it was all hand made, so some of it was quite expensive, but it was nice just browsing as we were heading into town. salzburg town is very quaint and the main street is cobbled stones and line with wrought iron signs hanging from the shop fronts. music is playing everywhere- from buskers and from the church orchestras- as it was a sunday. the town had a great atmosphere and easy feel to it- i enjoyed listening to jazz as we explored the narrow streets- clarinet seems to be a buskers choice of instrument- so i know where to come if we run out of money. mozart was born here so we took photos of his old residence. the are mozart choc shops every where selling different mozart chocolates. they brand anything they can with mozart on it- even perfume. we walked by st pauls church and up to the fortress that overlooks the town. on the way we end up walking through an old graveyard. it is very pretty with lots of flowers and plants- and the head stones are made from iron and are cut into intricate patterns. i didnt notice we were in a graveyard at first. in the cliffs are built old houses- which looks so strange as from side on they only stick out a meter or so from the cliff walls- they are all painted pretty colours. we started the ascent up the hill to the fortress- it was very steep, just straight up. when we nearly got to the top, we found you had to pay to go in. we thought seeing as we have gone this far we may as well get to the top- a clever ploy really, i bet most people dont know you have to pay til that point. we finally got to the top- sweating and panting a little- me and steph got an icecream and katene and jess a beer while we sat in the shade to cool off. the fortress is one of the oldest in europe. it was cool to explore- it had a museum of old weapons and army clothing, and you could explore the old master bedroom. they also had a puppet room- kind of creepy. we finally found what we were looking for- the view out over the city and across the mountains and country side. it was well worth the walk up there. after the fortress we went to the mirabell estate- where the sound of music filmed the scene of the kids singing around the fountain- i definitely got a photo of that. the supermarkets and most things arent open on a sunday- bummer, we had to go out for tea. you think i would be excited about that- but all you get is meat on a plate with chips or potato. even im not excited about that after 3 weeks of the same. we went to an old pub and got chicken or schnizel with chips or potato. when we got back to the hostel/hotel we did some much needed washing. they chill out room was playing inglorious bastards on the big screen so i watched the end of that- very weird movie. the next day we didnt need to get the bus unil 2pm so we went into town so steph could post some things to her aunties. then we had to walk for 25 min in 30 degree heat with a 20kg pack on my back to the bus- not fun! we were sweating so bad when we arrived it was dripping down my back. the trip to munich only took us 2 hours. the trip was a lovely trip through the countryside and past what i think is the bavarian mountains- not too sure though. It is so green with lots of trees- not what i was expecting for summer- i guess they get a lot of rain up this way. 

Comments

1

High on a hill lived a lonely goatherd
Lay ee odl layee
Old lay hee hoo!!!
I hope you sang it at the top of the mountain.

  Clare Aug 8, 2012 7:41 PM

About emily_b


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.