Existing Member?

Postcards from... somewhere...

Postcard from (mostly) Seattle

USA | Saturday, 1 October 2011 | Views [336]

A few days, blogging silence... Been too busy, not been in the mood, and the hotel didn’t have free wireless anyhow.  But, I’ve got 23 hours to kill on the train now, and whilst the scenery is beautiful, there is only so much gazing out the window a girl can do...  So, catching up on the writing...

The last day in Vancouver, it rained, pretty much incessantly.  Which meant my plans to go back up to Stanley Park which I’d loved my first time around, were pretty much nixed.  So, tired of my nails chipping, after breakfast I went to a nail salon and got them shellac’d, a gel polish that is supposed to last a couple of weeks – so far so good... Then, it was back down to Gastown to visit a boutique store I hadn’t realised was there when I’d been there the previous day... Spent some time there, trying on dresses and enjoying the company of the designer and the sales assistant...  Made a very expensive purchase once the designer had agreed to alter the halterneck for my height, and deliver the dress to my hotel that night... How could I refuse that kind of service..? :-p

Still pouring with rain, and I realised that I was actually in the heart of what they call Vansterdam...  I took a wander around the store, but didn’t buy anything... When I was in Seattle too, I noticed a full page spread advertising legal majajuana stores...  Cool... Then, to steer clear of the rain, lunch at an Italian called the Bellagio (well, who wouldn’t?), and then to the Vancouver Art Gallery for the Surrealism exhibition.  Really expensive, no headphones guide, and no leaflet to help guide you around.  But she gave me a student ticket because I looked like one even if I said I wasn’t one! 

Back to my hotel, I switched on the TV and realised I was watching the first episode of the new season of Gossip Girl. Result!  Although it won’t be too soon when that annoying French prince leaves and we can go back to a straightforward Blair/Chuck/Dan triangle... xoxo

Decided to get dressed up and go out to the Keg for steak – overpriced but a Canadian chain that I do love.  Delicious.

The bus across the border to the United States the next day, Tuesday, was fairly uneventful.  We had to disembark, pick up all our luggage and queue up through passport and baggage control.  They took my fingerprints and mug shot, and charged me $6 to do so – quite confused as they did that last time too, but hey, they let me in.  A sniffer dog had been on the coach too, checking for contraband.  We got into the Seattle a few minutes ahead of schedule, and there were some lovely views of the Space Needle as we approached.

Shared a taxi with a very dull British couple who were only in Seattle for the night, and couldn’t leave soon enough... Checked in at the Hotel Max, and I knew it had been accredited as LGBT friendly, but it was definitely cool & funky enough to have been a destination boutique hotel for any discerning characters.  Every floor showcased art from local artists, with originals in the rooms.  Walking down the hallways, every door had unique black & white photographs the length of the door.  In the mini bar you could buy the book of all the art in the hotel.

But my room was really noisy, on the alley at the back, and where the trash vans seemed to dump or pickup from throughout the night.  I complained the next day and was told for my last night I could get a better room.  Except when I came back from my excursions on Wednesday I found my room door wedged open by a towel... Thankfully nothing was taken but it was absolutely staggering that it could have happened.  They upgraded me straight away, and gave me vouchers for free dinner at the neighbouring restaurant...

But, I get ahead of myself.  When I first arrived at the hotel, I took a little nap – I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by the new city, somewhere I hadn’t been before.  Eventually, I forced myself to not let the city beat me, and I pulled myself out to Pike Market – which pretty much shuts by 6pm.  I made it to the Old Starbucks though, bought a gift for Van, and a mug for me, wandered around and found a little restaurant where I had seafood risotto.  I was glad I’d made the effort to get out, and to get my bearings for the next day.

Wednesday I went straight to the Space Needle via the monorail.  Amazing views, took lots of pictures... then to the EMP for the Nirvana exhibition.  Did take a wander around the Avatar one too, but definitely gave Battlestar Gallactica a miss!!  Then back into the centre to Pike Market – just like at Granville Island, a feast for the senses, flower stalls and fish mongers, next to kitsch little jewellery stores and glass ornaments.  But I do prefer Granville Island...  I ate some chowder and some fish n’ chips at Lowells, which was just delicious, my table next to two men from the Air Force, also quite delicious... the Air Force was in town, everywhere you looked a uniform or three walking past....

Sometimes though, I’m a rubbish tourist.  I seem to always end up shopping or going to the cinema.  And I managed to do both – being quite tired I stumbled across the Cheesecake Factory, decided to take the weight off my feet by adding body weight with a cheesecake – but not just any cheesecake, a chocolate tuxedo cheesecake which was just absolutely sublime, smooth as mousse... and across the street, the cinema seemed to beckon me in... So I saw Drive with Ryan Gosling which wasn’t at all what I’d thought it would be, but was excellent...  And then, on my way back to the hotel, Macy’s, Nordstrums, mall after mall, seemed to be begging me to come visit... Learnt my lesson though, getting on the Amtrak this morning – had to buy a shipping box because my bag was 10lbs over the maximum... I’m going to have problems with the flight on the way home at this rate....

So, get back to hotel, room door open, move rooms – much better room.  Free dinner of sashimi and black cod was delicious, and back to my room, exhausted, but this time a great night’s sleep.  I slept in yesterday, still feeling a bit jeg-lagged, and sometimes sucking the marrow out of life is just simply about taking the time to do nothing at all...  Then, it was down to the waterfront, to Miner’s Landing and the Fisherman’s Wharf for brunch (I don’t think that Seattle knows how to do fish meals badly).  I decided to give the Aquarium a miss, not wanting to spend another $20 or so on one more attraction... Then, along to Pioneer Square and Bill Spiedelman’s underground tour.  Which was both hilarious and informative – hugely enjoyable, a real highlight.  Up the Smithson Tower for more views and photos, and back up to Pike Market area for the night’s highlights at the Hard Rock Cafe.

I had a ticket to the 80s rewind gig but decided to eat there first.  Giving fish a miss, it was time for a real American burger... with mushrooms and swiss cheese of course, because this is me, and if I can get a burger with mushrooms, I will have it with mushrooms... And a cocktail.  Because I was at the Hard Rock... Up the stairs to the gig, and it was a band with a cute, slightly ageing girl, in a gold sequinned dress.  Kind of Michelle Pfieffer like from that film with the Bridges brothers and she sings Making Whoopee on the piano, but not the same genre of song at all... So not then.  The Fabulous Baker Boys.  That’s it..

The band was good.  Not my first time at a gig by myself, but it felt like it – I guess other times it’s been at V and I haven’t really been by myself, just temporarily...  I had another drink – voda soda – to take the edge off but I still felt like I was sticking out like a sore thumb... It was amusing watching some of the dancing, one bloke seemed to just dance with his crotch... another girl, crazy dance girl, just seemed to keep sliding, kneeling, onto the floor, or bending backwards into people... there were lots of all girl groups and whilst my gaydar isn’t really any good at all, I wondered if some of them weren’t from the upstairs event... I knew from my previous research that the GPIS (Gay People in Seattle) group was meeting on the roof – at one point I went up, bought a drink and stayed long enough to drink half of it, which wasn’t very long at all as I drank fast - either there were no lesbian or bi women in Seattle, or that they were all downstairs at the 80s rewind gig.  So, I went downstairs again too...

Decided to leave at the half way point... The band was good, but I’d had enough of feeling like a wallflower.  And I was worried about getting back to the hotel, and an early start for the train today.

I must be about the only person in the world who can go alone to an 80s gig, which is full of very drunk people, some of them obviously enjoying the kind of munch-like antics I know so well back in London, and not pull or be pulled... Perhaps I had a big flashing light above my head that said ‘freak’, or ‘not interested’.  I don’t know.  But, I so far haven’t got asked for ID once, so I guess that’s something.... (Or do I now look my age, and that’s what it is...?)

Today, the Coast Starlight.  Seattle was good to me, I liked it, and it didn’t rain on me once.  By comparison, Vancouver rained a lot.  But it’s Vancouver I want to return to again, I still love it the second time; Seattle is alright but it’s a pale imitation of its Canadian cousin.

 

About emily_abroad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.