Existing Member?

Postcards from... somewhere...

Postcard from the Coast Starlight & the Teatro Zinzanni

USA | Saturday, 1 October 2011 | Views [219]

Just a short blog... Sitting in my hotel room in San Francisco, it’s got one of those over-bed fans – note to self, when I get my dream house/flat/someplace it’s going to have one of those over-bed fans, a wooden one, or one like this in white... Me likes....

The Coast Starlight was a very long train ride.  Now, I knew that before I started but that somehow didn’t help.  It was very long.  23 hours is very long indeed.  And I guess being only 30 minutes late on a 23 hour journey is very good indeed, but it made it even longer...  When I was 21 I travelled the Amtrak across America, New York to Washington, Washington to Chicago, Chicago to Las Vegas, Las Vegas to Los Angeles and finally, the Coast Starlight, Los Angeles to San Francisco.  So, I have now completed the full Coast Starlight journey as it runs Los Angeles to Seattle.  When I was 21, travelling across the States by train seemed exciting and romantic, and full of promise.  And I thought, when I booked it back in February that it would be those things again.  Plus, my very good friend S convinced me that I might bump into Ethan Hawke and have a Before Sunset/Sunrise moment of my own... But it wasn’t, and I didn’t.  Instead, at lunch and dinner I was at a table with old people, the person next to me for the duration was old, and Ethan was nowhere in sight... By old, I don’t mean, old but young at heart.  I mean properly old, grandparent old but without the joy of being your own grandparents.  It was a long journey.  Of course, the scenery was breathtaking.  But not breathtaking enough to compensate for the length of the journey.  Did I mention it was a long one?

So, I got into San Francisco rather tired and achy early this morning.   Thankfully I could check into my room early, so I slept.

Then, to get food and explore.  I took my boss’ advice and found Mel’s diner on 4th and had a fantastic omelette.  Then, to my deep dismay (not) I stumbled across an Ed Hardy store.  Two for $40 is an absolute bargain, so I just had to add to my already over-heavy suitcase with two more t-shirts... Before I knew it, it was time to return to the hotel to get ready for the cabaret show in the evening...

Which was also my boss’ suggestion.... And quite disappointing.  Rather alarmingly the audience of Americans thought it was totally amazing and the best thing they had ever seen.  They need to see more Cirque du Soleil.  It was not a patch on the Cafe du Paris, or La Soiree.  On the other hand, when I saw that there were young children in the audience, I should have known that a magic act wouldn’t involve a little red handkerchief, a striptease, and full nudity...  Nor fire-eating.  Although there was sword swallowing briefly...  I refrained from buying any of the Venetian masks that were on offer... I have several nicer versions of my own at home already...

However, the Russian acrobat on the hoop was beautiful, and the pink Russian doll was perfection.  She has led me to suddenly *need* to have a bright red bobbed wig.  It is on my wish list.... It was also lovely to get costume ideas and now I have lots of thoughts for how to make & adjust existing things... Which I will probably never get around to...

I was on one of the best tables for the show, but once again, placed with old people.  An older lady and her fiancé, and her mother, who was 80.  I am probably sounding quite ageist, but I still haven’t been carded, I’ve been ordering & drinking alcohol and I am being seated with old people... Do I actually look 60, and it’s only me that sees me in the mirror...?  I might be in one of those body-swap films and not know it...

Getting home was interesting – got convinced to get a $10 per person limo back to town with several other people... and then it got a flat tyre... But still managed to share a cab with a couple, so got home in the end...

Tomorrow is wine-tasting, and a reunion with my friend Ron.  We first met when we were 15 in Aix-en-Provence.  I fell in lust with one of his friends, but we stayed in touch, then lost touch and were reunited via Facebook last year.  I’m excited to see him, and meet his wife.  And be amongst people who aren’t old.   

About emily_abroad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.