Existing Member?

A Time to Remember I dig my toes into the sand... The oceans looks like a thousand diamonds strewn across a blue blanket. I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless, and in this moment I am happy...

Sydney so far...

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 1 February 2009 | Views [544] | Comments [4]

View from Doyles Restaurant

View from Doyles Restaurant

Well i arrived safe and sound after a surprisingly easy flight. With 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners and 2 sunrises all in the space of 20 hrs. I did manage to sleep quite a lot of the time so have been really lucky not suffering with jet lag.

Paul was there to meet me at the airport and we were soon on our way in to Sydney and our base for the next week.

As i arrived at the silly early hour of 6.30am we were able to get stuck into the tourist stuff right away, after a freshen up at the hostel we headed straight out. Our first stop, breakfast by the harbour and a stroll over to the famous Sydney opera house, where there were plenty of opportunities for cheesey tourist pics! We then caught the ferry over to Manly Island.

We've been doing the tourist thing since then, each day has been packed with stuff. We had a lovely long walk from Bondi beach to Coogee on Thursday and my first dip in the Ocean. Paul's Cousin Simon lives in Coogee so we headed over to his and enjoyed by first Ozzie Barbie on his balcony (there were no shrimp but plenty of sausages!)

We've been to the PowerHouse Museum and had a lovely tour guide show us the highlights! And we made it up to the Harbour bridge to take in the awesome views.

Friday we took had a rest from the big city and took a bus ride out of Sydney to visit the Blue Mountains. We climbed down the giant staircase and took in some incredible views of the famous threes sisters. According to aboriginal folklore these three huge rock formations came about when three beautiful aboriginal maidens where turned to stone by a which doctor ... there is more to the story than this but i won't go in to it now!

Friday night was finished off by a fabulous meal of fish and chips at a place called Doyles. We got there just in time to watch the sunsetting behind the cityscape of Sydney. This has to be a highlight so far. the meal was great and the company even better, a truely wonderful evening! 

That brings me to Saturday. And the the most i've laughed in a long time! We borrowed Simon's Scooter or Scoot as they like to say here, and had our own non guided tour of the city and the suburbs! Heading out to a place called Surry Hills we stumbled across a cute little cafe for lunch called Peas please (Amy this made me think of you) and then spend the the day scooting about the place until we finally found our way back to the city. Feeling rather hot and sticky by this point (with delightful helmet hair!) we decided to hit Bondi Beach to cool off. Time had gotten away from us by now so it was time to take the scoot back to Simon in Coogee and find some place for dinner, a lovely italian where we shared pizza and pasta. All in all another great day!

Sunday today so we treated ourselves to a late start. Doing some laundry and Paul has hit the Gym which has given me the chance to sit and do my update. We're here until Tuesday now, longer than planned due to some bus timetable issues but we'll soon be starting up the coast - first stop Byron bay and some surf lessons!! This should be interesting!

Next blog from Byron Bay!

Love you all

big kisses to Cinni and Nutmeg xxx miss you

Comments

1

All sounds and looks absolutely amazing Ellie! Great to see your lovely smile. Looking forward to hearing about your next adventures in Byron Bay! Have fun xxxxx

  Em Feb 1, 2009 9:00 PM

2

sounds fantastic look forward to more!! love you loads xxxx

  mum and dad Feb 1, 2009 9:35 PM

3

Wow! Already looks like an amazing trip and you've only been there a week! I'm soooo glad you did it....

You both look fantastic too. Can't wait for the next journal entry!

We miss you lots... all our love,

Amy & Sy x x

  Amy & Sy Feb 2, 2009 12:55 AM

4

It looks like you're having a great time!! Just and I have just looked through all the photos - we're having a 'Home Snow Day'today - it's snowed so much in London hardly any of the tubes are working and there's no buses so we're having a free day off!

The scooter looks like it was great fun and whatever that pudding was it looked yummy!! We hope you get to your next place ok and can't wait to hear all about it,

keep having fun, lots of love, Lucy and Justin (and Lucille) xxx

  Lucy and Justin Feb 2, 2009 10:40 PM

About ellie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.