Existing Member?

Central American Adventure

Eight Legged Freaks!

NICARAGUA | Friday, 21 November 2008 | Views [733] | Comments [6]

OMFG! Doing the washing up when a HUGE FREAKING FREAKING FREAK FREAK of a TARATULA scarpered up the wall in front of me.  Now those of you who are accustomed to my seemingly unneccessary phobias will tell you that I am prone to exaggeration when I speak of the size of a spider. BUT I TELL NO LIE, THIS THING WAS THE SIZE OF MY HAND SPLAYED OUT. It rapidly disappeared into the shower (!) and Chapu (a guy who hangs around being helpful - no one quite knows why, although he is having a love affair with the family parrot) sprang to the rescue and spent the next half hour hunting it with great delight. He finally stabbed it through the centre of its back with a wooden stake horror movie stylee.  I did not want it to die (honest) and I'm sure karma will have its way and i´ll be chewed to death by a 50 tonne arachnid but there are a lot of kids about.

Other than that, rat count is up to 2 as is mouse.  The sea and air on the beach at Pochomil (Pacific Coast) did the world of good for the old mozzie bites.  Although it is hard when fumbling in the dark to distinguish the toothpaste from the insect repellent from the bite relief cream from the hair removal cream from the antispetic pomade - you really dont want to get those guys mixed up.

Thanks for the advice Jools, i will intrepedly seek those things out, but I´m afraid here its pharmaceuticals all the way!

Love Eleanor x

Comments

1

Yikes !! Glad I wasn`t there... honest to god ,that must have been enuff of a shock to make your hair stand on end ! ( on your head that is ... not your eyebrows as you`ve hardly got any.) Love you M XXX

  Mumso Nov 22, 2008 3:08 AM

2

Hi Mozza, I'm shocked and stunned one of my brethrin has met a nasty end, a sharp wooden one at that but I do understand how these chaps can sneak up on you and proceed to scare you shitless its the first leason for all arania pequenos in spider training school he will be remembered with honour for a job well done. Lots of love Troutmaster! XXX

  Shady Phil Nov 24, 2008 10:19 PM

3

The sympathy for which I am well known is now in overdrive.

I’m imagining how it must have felt to be quietly going about your business; enjoying the peace of mind that comes with completing an everyday task requiring little thought; perhaps allowing the mind to wander; enjoying the warmth of the sun, the sound of the birds and the possibilities of a new day; when all of a sudden you come across a huge monster making squawking noises and flapping uncontrollably. The next thing you know another, equally huge but less frantic monster is methodically hunting you down with a murderous look in its eye. This could end badly.

After half an hour the daydreams of before have vanished without trace, he’s closing in and you’re running out of options. Every ounce of your being is now focussed on only one thing – escape - but how? It’s no use staying put. The bloody maniac is taking the place to pieces. He’s deranged, he’ll stop at nothing. RUN FOR IT!

Alas, too slow. As the stake pierces your abdomen your life flashes before your eyes - your hopes, your dreams. Oh what life might have been? Who’d have thought it would all end like this?


As I said, sympathy in overdrive.

Was the parrot suitably impressed?

UE

  UE Nov 25, 2008 9:02 AM

4

I don't think you are exaggerating.Why don't you save yourself all this anguish and come home where daddy can protect you from such nasty things.
Dads

  James Morrison Nov 25, 2008 10:26 PM

5

yes, you need daddy, hes the chief bestest bravest spider catcher in the whole world ....

youre story is giving my shivery reminders of my encounter with the large furry 8 legged friend i made in the cook islands, he thought my pillow was a comfy resting spot, I DIDNT!!

hmmmm perhaps i best not pop over there to join you after all, its enough dealing with the odd south west london species starting to creep in from the cold in frosty kingston, its all hats, scarves and gloves here ele, send my love to the sun XXXXXX

  nats Nov 26, 2008 2:02 AM

6

A tarantula bite is no worse than a bee sting, according to the Discovery Channel.

That doesn't help with the guilt no doubt! You didn't kill it though so maybe you're off the karmic hook. Even if you do get payback, I'm sure it'll be nothing worse than a plague of cockroaches.

Tarantulas eat roaches by the way ;).
xxx

  Jean Jan 11, 2009 11:16 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.