Existing Member?

Central American Adventure

Help! Shaved Eyebrows!?

NICARAGUA | Sunday, 16 November 2008 | Views [951] | Comments [4]

Am in Esteli in the North of Nicaragua for the day and a night.  We are visiting an activist friend of Paul's who works at an adult education centre, pottery and all sorts of things.  On the way up here we stopped at another friend of Paul's who is a hairdreseer.  I got a trim and thought letś go the whole hog and get my eyebrows plucked, this living like a scabby backpacker is all very well but man I wanna feel like a woman . . . not so, I was sat in a dentists chair while they applied this cream to my brows - wot no tweezers? I lay back, thought of Blighty and waited for pluck pain to come but instead felt a curious scraping and realised with horror that my eyebrows were being shaved into place!  Tell me, not being a manicure type girl myself, is this common practise?  They look great just now but when the stubble comes . . . . 


We finally did the acrobatics presentation a couple of nights ago after several afternoons of rehearsal and promises of performance manana manana.  Some fairy light were rigged and a ghetto blaster installed, the chairs were set for an audience of . . . . 3! Plus me.  The parents here didnt seem to be interested in what the mad woman had been doing with their kids.  However, Darra, Joel, Winston, Joel, Fabiana, Celeste and Betsa didnt seem to mind.  They loved the process of rehearsal, choosing music, outfits and putting on make up, we celebrated after with a trip to buy fizzy drinks.


Yesterday I went to a school to do a workshop with twenty 12 - 16 year olds.  To say it was chaotic was something of an understatement with the usual issues of pesky teachers (though very nice) talking over the top.  Some of the boys felt too cool to join in but with a bit of humiliation we got some stuff out of them.  This was an inclusive school so we had several young people with additional needs in the group.  Despite claiming to be inclusive, the boys really seemed to make fun of those with other needs or with weight issues - and the teachers didnt seem to notice!  Had my Spanish been good enough I would have come down on them like a tonne of bricks but instead I had to rely on the good old set of 'workshop faces' that I have cultivated for moments of disapproval.


Unfortunately (for me), school finishes for two months next week, so the opportunity to deliver workshops in this context is limited.  Also I have been advised against doing a workshop in the open space in the Barrio as it would attract too much attention from unsavoury characters, this is disappointing.


Went to see a play last night, its name translates as 'Doll Soup'.  While the mozzies banqueted on my ankles, I tried to decifer what the actors were saying. Fortunately for me the meaning was clear through the action - it being about domestic violence and oppression through two generations of the same family.  This is a big issue in Nicaragua.

Due to the lack of ponies work to do (we are no further on since last time I blogged) and the fact that schools are closing, I am going to move on from Nicaragua, or certainly Managua, quite soon.  My legs have been munched so badly that I may have to see a doctor soon.  I need to get to the sea for the breeze and the salt water on them.

I have added some photos now so please have a look.  Please keep posting comments as it makes me feel less far away from you all.


Lots of love


Eleanor xxxxx

Comments

1

Sorry to hear about the mossies on the Mozza. I suppose you could say "at least they've got taste." It's great to be able to see how your adventure is going so easily - even I'll join the 21st century eventually. Although this November day has been lovely - it is November, and the gritters are out tonight - how long is it since the last one of those was seen in Managua? Love, Richard and Katy

  Richard and Katy Nov 17, 2008 8:49 AM

2

Hi Eleanor, you witches are so far flung these days it's great to have blogs and email to catch up! Look after those legs and find a local herbal remedy if you can, rosemary, rue sage or the local equivalant something strong smelling. Teaching kids and teachers in the 3rd world is hard there is no such thing as PC and teachers can be very cruel as my sister found in Namibia this sumer. Keep at it sounds fun as well, lots of love and admiration and a tinge of envy Jools

  Jools Cox Nov 17, 2008 9:13 PM

3

hi mozz,
just sent you an email, but ignore the i can´t open your blog comment! Wow, sounds like you are facing some tough challenges, but handling it well and workshop faces are surely a universal languauge. Really inspiring what you are doing. Wishing you lots of luck and hope you can sort something out for those mozzie bites. love you, beck x

  B the brun Nov 18, 2008 11:42 AM

4

Hope you're not still rely on those herbal remedies to keep the mozzies at bay. As we discovered in SE Asia it seems to attract them rather than repel them. Go straight for the Deet and just ignore the fact that it melts your skin. Love you xx

  Liberation Nov 19, 2008 1:17 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.