Existing Member?

Central American Adventure

Arrival in Managua

NICARAGUA | Wednesday, 12 November 2008 | Views [1017] | Comments [10]

Ok here goes . . .

After almost a week of swanning round San Francisco eating, eating and er eating and doing a lot of walking, I have made it to Managua, the capital of Nicaragua.  The rainy season has just about ended though there is talk of a hurricane on the way which is currently battering about in the Carribbean.  The Atlantic Coast absorbs most of the wind and we just get the torrential rain.  But for now, the skies are blue and it is starting to get hot!  There are basically 6 months of rains and six months of dry and we are at the start of the dry.  Everything for now is very lush and green - a stark contrast to when I came here in April 2006 when the ground and vegetation was burnt and dry.

I am staying in one of the poorest areas of the city in Barrio Primavera down by the now poluted Lake Managua.  At best, the houses are made of brick with a tin roof, but many are simply bit of iron / wood / cardboard slung together.  Despite the poor housing, all the women and children are immacualtely turned out - the Nicaraguans pride themselves on being scrupulously clean.

I am staying with Paul and his extended family in a kind of little compound in the Barrio.  It is a collection of fairly rickety buildings arranged around a dirt yard, with a few trees and plants.  There are many chickens scratching around, a pig shed complete with 3 sows (?), a parrot, a duck, a rabbit and a couple of dogs who only get let off their leashes at night when they spend their time er um making babies. All the cooking, washing and cleaning is done outside in the yard where there is a constant flow of various cousins, aunties, grannies, children - still trying to work out how they all link up.  I tried making a family tree yesterday until the branches got so entangled I couldnt read it!

My room is what used to be 'the office' and has been cleared out for me to sleep in and have some private space.  It has brick walls to halfway and then is topped off with boards and a tin roof.  Despite sleeping with a mosquito net and buttering up each evening with repellent, my feet, legs and ankles are already pickled with bites that drive me mad with scratching.  I am trying to not look too closely into the dusty and cobwebbed recesses but I did have my first encounter with a spider last night.

Meals usually consist of some variation of beans, rice, potato, egg - yesterday I was treated to some fish!  I am longing for something green to eat and have negotiated this morning that I will just have fruit for breakfast rather then the carb and protein heavy meal three times a day. 

It has taken me this long to get to an internet Cafe as everything has been pretty much closed since I got here because of the elections for the Mayor.  There were two parties putting forward candidates The Liberals (Conservative) and the FSLN (Socialists).  The Socialist won and now the Liberals are rioting, there is a lot of violence in the streets and some people have been shot.  But dont worry - this is in very concentrated areas and confined to the poltical activists.  I feel quite safe as I am not involved, although I am sleeping with ear plugs in as all night people fire guns into the air and set off homemade mortars/fireworks.  What with that and the bloody cockrel that thinks its morning all night!!???

Due to the global financial climate (i am told), there is no Ponies and Small Persons project in place as yet.  I have been also advised to leave the money we raised in a British bank (how safe!) until the pound strengthens against the dollar.  So it doesnt look like I'll be doing much direct, hands on stuff this time around but what we are doing is setting up meetings with various people to talk about viability and logistics.  We talked to an American lady who lives here and has several horses who we will visit in due course. She gave us some contacts and some further understanding of Nicaraguan attitudes towards animals.  She advised that the best approach in terms of trying to get horse owners to look after their animals was to think of them like a car - the more you maintain and look after it, the longer it will last.  Yesterday we had a meeting with a guy who has a link with the street kids and tommorrow we are going to visit some possible land outside the city that we can keep the horses on.  So things are getting off the ground but like everything in this continent, slowly.

On the theatre side of things  . . .

There is a community theatre group in the next Barrio who have recently produced a piece on Sexual Abuse and young children, unfortunately I missed the performance in our yard just before I arrived, but I hope to meet up with them.  I have spent most of the afternoons so far doing gymnastics, acrobatics and drama games with the kids that hang about the yard.  Tonight we are billed to do a grand acrobatic presentation!  Its diificult but interesting trying to communicate the rules of a game in very broken spanish and a lot of gesticulating, but they are getting the idea and they absolutely love it!  Most of the kids get very little attention from their parents so an adult who is prepared to grub about in the dirt with them is a total delight.  They hang about my door exclaiiming 'ejercicios! ejercicios!'.  My hope is that I can get these kids up to speed on some games etc and then we'll hold a larger drama workshop for the rest of the kids in the Barrio.  A couple of the older ones will definately make good assistant leaders!  I am also going to a school tommorrow to talk about doing workshops there - possibly with an environmental theme.

I think that's all for now, I'll try and keep this up to date whenever I can get to a computer.  Will also attempt to post up some photos.  Would love to hear what's going on with y'all.

Love Eleanor x

 

Comments

1

Hi Eleanor thank you for sending me your blog. Please say hello to Paul for me. I'm trying to imagine Nicaragua as 'lush & green' but it's difficult! My son Jack is planning a S American adventure too - leaving for Chile in April. Hope to read more in due course and good luck with the initiatives
Best wishes
Paddy

  Paddy Burton Nov 13, 2008 10:46 PM

2

Hi Eleanor,
Sounds good - a great start! I'll pass the blog details onto everyone else at work and also see if we can get a link to it puton the website of the bebo site so that participants can read what yoiu are doing.
Good luck!
Michael x

  Michael Richardson Nov 14, 2008 3:19 AM

3

Wow! Sounds very inspiring and exciting! We all miss you at work! Looking forward to hearing and hopefully seeing more about it all... hope it continues to go well!
Take care
Anna XX

  Anna Nov 14, 2008 4:46 AM

4

Dearest Eleanor, thinking of you lots & so good to have your news & to be able to imagine where you`re living. Hope the school visit went well & those mossies are giving your legs a rest....No stunning newsflashes from South Brent.. oh except front wall of house ( & the front door!) has bin treated to a fresh coat of paint (Oh how interesting is that!)& I finished another great Helen Dunmore book last night ... the sort of writing that could be re-read without it feeling like a waste of time.Am working ( ? ) late tonite as off to Sharpham later.Please keep on keeping in touch . Love you. xxx

  liz sheldon ... Mumso ? Nov 14, 2008 4:54 AM

5

Welly!

A very vibrant and colourful picture painted of where you are and what you are up to. Can't wait to see some pictures of you and your new drama charges. Any frindly cats adopted you yet?

We're off the the premier of the new Wallace and Gromit film that I've been working on this Saturday. Going to take the little man for his first cinema experience at 8 weeks old - he should love it as Wallace's voice was the main voice that he heard in the womb for the first 9 months of life while I was working in the edit suites! Probably thinks Peter Sallis is his father.. eww not a good thought for me!

Without boring you with too much baby talk, he's good and is smiling, laughing and chantering away in baby talk to us already. He is growing hair and will definately have Adrian's lego man style hair line.

We have already purchased his first festival ticket, and making Glastonbury 2009 your first festival will be no bad thing for him!

Love to you from Kate, Ade and Willy-Jim x

  Kate Stannard Nov 14, 2008 5:45 AM

6

Hi Ele
So good to hear your news-what a change from downtown Edinburgh!!!!! Everything good at this end-we travelld to London yesterday as james took part in the school prom-DYJo & Taiko and it was great & quite a few people were able to come including Natasha /auntie Anne/john-Kagi -Oliver & Michael plus some friends. We are feeling a bit dozey today having got back very late. Dad is busy with some work & OU essays & I have quite a few complaints to be getting on with. James ...well ...busy as usual. Will keep the news coming! Lots of love

   Mary Arnoldi Nov 14, 2008 5:58 AM

7

Hi Eleanor,
Glad to hear you are well, and kicked off with the locals successfully ! It reminded us of the time(2004) when James & his team of friends went to Costa Rica for a month trecking & working for the local school children & their village community... all quite contrasing & inspirational stuff !
We are well, our family diaries remain to be pretty busy, especially John having to spend more time travelling to & from the oversea offices (Houston, Singapore/KL...Hague) Setting the globally unfriendly example of maintaining a huge carbon footprint togetherwith his express aging process ! Oli is pretty well stretched with many extra carricular school activities...the orchestras,the band, the choir....but more importantly,the GCSE exam preps are getting more intense !!He is also someone who lives for the weekend (a party animal!)...We have the endless pleasures of taxing him at very late nights !
I am keeping the Institute happy with the screen printing class....hoping to organise a group exhibition again in the new year. It has been fasinating change from painting in watercolour.
Look forward to seeing some phtographs from you soon.

With Best Wishes & love,
Kagari, John, James & Oli xxxx
Love,

Kagari, John, James & Oli xxxx

  Kagari, John & Oliver Arnoldi Nov 14, 2008 11:12 AM

8

ele-extra!!! sounds great, i wanna come play in the dirt with the kiddies ..... im seriously thinking about coming out to see you in the new year!!! god knows how financially ..... but there you go, got goldsmiths MA application and statement to get out the way first.... ahhh

perhaps i could raise money to buy art materials and come out and do workshops with your kids - what dates (obviously approximately) do you think you will be there until....? before you leave to travel north?

im liking the sound of sunny - kingston at 5.30pm this evening is dark and very cold and i am working on HMRC records after being on a self-employment course today to learn how to do all my paperwork efficiently!! boring!!!

anyway, please keep writing, ive been growing copper sulphate crystals with about 200kids in school this week - we are planning a crystal invasion throughout the school ....
got be careful i dont poison any of the little madames as its toxic .....

ooooops , miss you lots, your loving, darling sister natasha x

  Natasha Nov 15, 2008 4:24 AM

9

Hello dearest mossied-girl, how lovely was it to talk to you last Sunday !! ( please let me know whse fone bill it `ll go on .. as dont want you to be worrying about trying to pay... so let me know. ) And as if that wasn`t good enuff .... your San Fran card dropped onto the mat this morning & i was all smiles & tears as, tho` hip-dip in style, holds almost all i believe i need to be often reminded of ..... Now, just in case we have trouble recognizing you next year( ? ) at Heathrow don`t get cosied - up to any more hairdressers .... let it all hang loose ... be a dirty backpacker ! Got to go now but hope to hear from you soon. Oh yes .. can you put Rosie onto the BLOG list so she can make some sense out of all this CRAZINESS ! As much love as ever, M xx

  Mumso Nov 21, 2008 4:40 AM

10

Message for Kagi Arnoldi.

Hi Kagi. Hope you remember me from college. Hope I have the correct person. Would be wonderful if you could contact me. (you were my bridesmaid) We now have 2 grandchildren. email is karennch@aol.com.

Love and Best Wishes to you, John and Family.

Karen Nicholls (was Yabsley)

  Karen Nicholls Jun 22, 2009 8:12 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.