Existing Member?

evstravelsdotcom

Negombo to Sigiriya

SRI LANKA | Saturday, 27 April 2013 | Views [1707]

Getting off the plane at 05.20 in a strange and new place is never ideal but I had a lovely young man greet me. Rukmal was going to be driver and part-time guide for the next 5 days. We set off on the road and first stop for breakfast was Puttalam. The road side rest house was never going to be UAE 5-star luxury but it had everything that a weary traveller could need and was very clean. Filled with a wonderful breakfast of egg butties and a pot of tea (with cold milk!), it was back on the road for another 3 hours. I was in the lap of luxury in the back of my car and could comfortable nod off. Just as well as the driving conditions could scare even the bravest of souls. Do not travel on the roads in Sri Lanka if you are waiting for heart surgery! I was amazed at how greeen everything was and so tropical looking. Finally got to Anuradhapura and met my guide for the site. 

The city is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is one of the oldest continuously used inhabited cities in the world and one of the eight World Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka. From the 4th century BC, it was the capital of the Sinhalese until the beginning of the 11th century AD. During this period it remained one of the most stable and durable centers of political power and urban life in South Asia. The ancient city, considered sacred to the Buddhist world, is today surrounded by monasteries covering an area of over sixteen square miles (40 km²).

I arrived in the middle of the day and it was really hot. As I had come straight from the airport, I had not been able to do the things I would have normally done before venturing out in the midday sun - like put sunscreen on. By the time I realised, the damage was done and for the first time in years, I got sunburn on the back of my neck and shoulders. As we were in such a holy site for the Buddhist religion, most of the places I visited required bare feet. Fine if the ground is cold/cool but not so fine when you could fry and egg on the stones! Looked like a peculiar version of Tom from a Tom & Jerry cartoon, tippy-toeing from shade to shade! Still, it was so interesting and very humbling to see all these wonderful buildings that have stood for so long. 

After my visit, we went to my hotel, Eden Garden Hotel in Sigiriya. Lovely staff who were very friendly and helpful but it was undergoing rennovation which meant a bathroom which had been plastered but no tiles or finishing touches. Still, I had my own bathroom which was prefectly clean in my room which although a little shabby, was comfort to my weary body by the end of the day. Perfect for a Lion beer in the restaurant before dinner!

 

Tags: day one

About ejkaplan51


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.