Existing Member?

evstravelsdotcom

Day 3

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Wednesday, 4 April 2012 | Views [430]

Today was an even better day. The sun came out and Red Square was open. Walked down red square which is all cobbled. Must be uncomfortable when they do the military parades! All those high kicks must result in someone getting their butt kicked!  Went to visit the Kremlin. Absolutely stunning cathedrals. Sadly the armoury was closed so didn't get to see the Faberge eggs - that would have been a nice Easter egg! Went for lunch in the GUM store in Red Square and then on to St Basil's Cathederal. Wow! Absolutely fabulous! What a treat.  Everywhere I turn there are beautiful buildings. Did not bother with Lenin's Tomb. Didn't like him much when he was alive (not that I knew him) and certainly wouldn't queue to see his waxy formalized remains!  The highlight of the day was St Basil's Cathederal. I saw a picture of it as a child and was mesmerized by it. Still feel the same!

On my way back to my hotel I had to walk down the oldest street in Moscow, Ulista Varvarka. I passed this way each day - twice - and got to see: Church of St George, Palace of the Romanov Boyars, the Old English Court, Church of St Maxim, Cathedral and Monastery of the Sign, and the Church of St Barbara. On the other side of the road was the Old Merchant's Chambers which is a rather splendid affair that looks like it should be visited by people in evening dress for a concert every night - but looks like no-one takes any notice of it and walks straight past!  I went into a shop close to the Monastery of the Sign which sold religious icons and bread rolls! Strange combination, or maybe not? Thinking bread and fishes here!! Too obscure? Sorry!

I went into a restaurant on my way back to the hotel which had three different dining rooms - self-service, a la carte and the last one left me wondering..... food was good and very cheap! Called in the coffe shop lastly and had the most wonderful cup of hot chocolate. Was bliss in a cup! 

Tags: sightseeing day 2

About ejkaplan51


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.