Existing Member?

La granadina It's the spring semester of my junior year, so I am celebrating with un gran viaje filled with classes (unfortunately) and crazy foreign fun.

Sacromonte and beyond!

SPAIN | Sunday, 21 January 2007 | Views [334]

In honor of Whitney’s birthday, and because we rock at life, the Arcadia group (also Vince and Jonathan) went out the night before a 10:30 hike to Sacromonte! So being awake today was a lot of fun, and the year-long trek up the Gypsy hillside. Sacromonte is the Gypsy part of town, located just past the Albayzín. This is where you go for great flamenco and tortilla Sacromonte (which I would rather avoid, because it sounds unnecessarily disgusting). The buildings are actually built into the hillside. They’re caves. Further up is the Abadía, a seminary-collegiate-church-type place, filled with stars of David (as a symbol of intelligence and wisdom) and old relics. There was also this series of tunnels (apparently the Spaniards of old were crazy short) with little chapels all over and two, big rocks. They have magical powers! If you touch the black one, you’ll find and marry your one true love within the year. No gracias. The white one’s bad news: as divorce was only legalized recently, this rock um, takes care of relationship woes by, erm, getting rid of your partner. I didn’t touch that one either. The walk up was brutal, but the view was amazing. Our tour guide is insane. But you know, it happens. After, we got churros con chocolate, because um, exercise is bad? Spain’s gonna make me so fat…

Tags: Sightseeing

About eitakg917


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.