Existing Member?

citymike

Pretentious twats

INDIA | Thursday, 12 January 2006 | Views [3034] | Comments [4]

Although I have met some lovely people on my stay in south Goa it does seem to have a fair share of pretentious twats. The pretentious twats have an all knowing air, they have seen what the world can be like, admired its many mysteries, and they would find it difficult to relate to the common man, or rather the common western man. Give a pretentious twat an encounter with the bloke what cleans the municipal bogs in Bangalore and he will assure you that they had a spiritual experience but introduce him to a working class European and he will treat him with disdain.

I think it's a middle class thing. Your actual middle class were raised that way and they can't help it. However, there is a breed of working class Independent or Guardian readers who want to show that they are better than the crowd, the herd, and they are the ones that get my goat. They don't aspire to be middle class in itself, they just aspire to be better than other people and they don't realise that that will make them middle class, that will make them of better breeding. It's not just the British, by the way, although I notice them more and we are very very good at it, it's also other Europeans and even some Aussies, when did they get posh?

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Perhaps when they learnt to spell and use grammar correctly? What on earth are you talking about? Felt left out of a conversation becuase you didn't know the topic or did you not get many cuddles as a baby? Perhaps its because of where your loyalties lie: You slag off readers from the only two centre-left newspapers in the United Kingdom. Statistically by the way, more bi-lingual and tr-lingual British people read the Guardian and Independent than any other British newspaper (Mori) Mr Daily Mail Murdoch has a chip on his shoulder?....

  sam Jan 24, 2006 1:30 AM

2

Hiya Sam. The misuse of grammar was deliberate, working class irony but I can't see any spelling mistakes. I'm sure you'll be kind enough to correct me and we won't mention your mistakes becuase it can get silly. I wasn't left out of a conversation, my point was that the pretentious twats are incapable of real conversation which I believe explores a subject rather than just regurgitates what has been read in a broadsheet newspaper. I'm always open to cuddles, even from pretentious twats, the world needs more cuddles. The next bit is where your logic lets you down. Because the pretentious twats do tend to read centre left newspapers does not mean that I think everyone that reads a centre left newspaper is a pretentious twat. Understood? What's with the bilingual and trilingual statistic? Are you stating that people who speak a foreign language can't be pretentious? I think you will find that people who speak only enough to order a meal in a foreign language can be the most pretentious people there are. Or are you suggesting that to speak a foreign language makes a person more intelligent? It doesn't, learning a foreign language is an innate human skill that simply requires hard work and time. By the way, what question did Mori ask and did they verify that the respondents could actually speak a foreign language? I know people who can barely order a MacDonalds in Spain who claim that they can speak Spanish. Come to think of it, they read the Independent too.

  doherty1957 Jan 27, 2006 9:06 PM

3

why would you want to read a news paper with no tits in it (journalists excluded) Since progressing to the Sun I can safely say that it trails behind the Star by a mile with its constant striving to present us with trivial world news and current affairs, it forgets what the real peaple of Britain realy want, that is a pair of tits on every page. Even Libral woolies like tits. Toodle Pip..

  Aldo Jan 31, 2006 3:27 AM

4

I was always a Daily Mirror man myself, Aldo. Some tits but a bit of news as well and John Pilger who could write the odd interesting article, although none about tits strangely enough.

  doherty1957 Feb 2, 2006 1:26 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.