Existing Member?

citymike

Pony tail convention

INDIA | Thursday, 29 December 2005 | Views [527] | Comments [2]

I've never seen so many men with their hair in pont tails as I have in South Goa. They seem nice people although of all the people I've spoken to none has been a man with a pony tail. I have this horrible feeling that I may not be very cool.

Christmas was uneventful. I wet for a bicycle ride and found a stretch of beach that was very peaceful. There were two shacks, one dominated by a large black American family and the other with a few people who told me that they were recovering from the previous nights party. I sat and had a beer and looked at the sun shining on the sea, sparkling with the movement of the waves. It was a pity to be on my own, it was nice to experience but would have been better with a friend. I don't often think like that, it must be the fact it was Christmas day.

I am becoming more adventurous on the bike and cycling along the beach. Yesterday I cycled about 20km and I feel it this morning. On the way back I stopped for a mineral water in a cafe and the guy there, I think the owner, seemed offended that I wasn't going to eat there. The owner asked me what my name is and where I am staying, I think that is their way of threatening people who offend them in some way, like threatening to put it about that this guy is bad. As if any shack would refuse my custom or money because I upset another shack owner.

By the way, it isn't the first time someone has asked my name and hotel. What can I say, I'm just mean and I rub people up the wrong way....apparently

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

way to take it personally!I'm in India too haven't you noticed that they are just goddammed curious?You haven't made them shitty at all....we get groups of kids running up and asking our names and then running away again...all hotel or restaurant owners want to know where you are staying and then usually tell you their place is better/cheaper...or sometimes just want to know! Its like market research indian style.

  zara Apr 26, 2006 9:59 PM

2

No, Zara, I know that when I'm good they want to take all my money from me. But when I am bad they want to give me a bad name because I haven't allowed them to take all of my money from me.

My favourite Indian was a taxi driver who was chatting with me, he was very curious about me, until he found out that I have aregular driver and then the guy walked on without even a goodbye. Don't ever kid yourself that an Indian person ever has an altruistic motive in being kind or polite.

  doherty1957 Apr 27, 2006 1:56 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.