Existing Member?

citymike

English food

INDIA | Wednesday, 21 December 2005 | Views [589]

I passed a restaurant today with a sign saying it was owned by Jim and pat from Manchester. They do a proper English breakfast, they have fish and chips with mushy peas and Lancashire hotpot. The landlord was a bit of an ogre towards his staff, I thought. As soon as he entered the staff said "good morning, sir" and it didn't sound right. Then the landlord asked each guest if they were being looked after by them, like he'd give the staff what for if his customers weren't happy.

I overheard the landlady complaing that another restaurant had copied their menu. It made me laugh. I already thought that northern Goa was like the Costa del Sol 25 years ago but I thought that the curry restaurants, given that they are so popular back home, would survive. I reckon that in 10 years time the only difference between Goa and southern Spain will be the colour of the waiters who speak better English. I suppose in one way it will be a revenge for the invasion of Indian restaurants into Britiain but we badly needed the food.

I feel so proud to be British working class. OK, so the middle and upper classes may have left great monuments and stuff but we're affecting their culture without a hint of violence. I think Gandhi would like that.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.