Existing Member?

Pixel Narrations

Day 5: The view from the top

GREENLAND | Monday, 21 October 2013 | Views [2036]

Old Lady Directions Sign Reflection

Sleep, food, and the comforts of a bed have never been so welcome before. After the past few days’ adventures, the day started on a much-needed relaxed note. I had a renewed sense of gratitude towards comforts and technological innovations over time- mattress-soft, food-cooked and Internet. I managed to get a voucher from the Souvenir Shop at the hostel (every other time, it was closed by the time we got back and not open when we left). Half an hour worth Internet for 30 DKK, and tiny optical fibers over the great Arctic Ocean carried news for me all the way from Cambodia. I had received news about a photo opportunity in November, and excited at the news, I ran over to tell Dan (everyone else was out), and who was backing up footage from the previous day. He was excited and my excitement knew no bounds.

Others came back with news of better weather, and it was time to fly. We headed to the Airport where our Pilot from Air Zafari discussed the areas we would fly over. After a mandatory introduction on flying rules, he added, with mischievous eyes, that in case the plane crashes, the life jacket under our seats would be useful in finding our bodies. Eep.

Greenland Topography View from top

Jason, Richard and Daniel took the first flight with our dimple cheeked Danish pilot, while Simon and I spent time exploring the area nearby the airport. While I was itching to be on that flight, and saw the guys take off, I had time to shoot by myself. I got some shots of kids playing blocks outside a shop with its shutters down, another kid was giving the swings and slides in the playing area next to the airport a good go. I captured that happily while chatting with them in animated little gestures.

The flight was back and it was our turn to fly. The six seat-er had only one shooting window- a tiny hole through the glass - which Jason took. Simon and I sat in the back and were to shoot through the glass. Our pilot cautioned us to be careful with our lenses when shooting and not accidently scratch the 'glass, window glass'. Before the trip I had imagined a plane with open windows and more area to shoot from. This one was a closed cabin and with very little space for movement. But nonetheless, this flight was nothing short of stellar. The ice cap we had hiked on yesterday, spread for kilometers at a stretch. Our skilled pilot did some interesting maneuvers in the sky and we got really close to it.

Long Cracks in Polar Ice Cap

On one hand, my heart was marveling at the sight below and on another my mind was trying to balance this excitement with my body’s urge to chuck my innards out from all the nausea I was experiencing with every twist the plane took and its constant turning. My head was spinning, and I kept trying to shoot.

Thankfully Jason was ready with his advice on photo flights like these, the depth of field can be shallow and the image can still be sharp. I opened up the aperture letting more buckets of light flow in. With headsets propped on, we chatted and we clicked, while the transmission station ad-libbed. Our Pilot shared his experiences from his previous photo flights, funny encounters with other Photo enthusiasts where he was blamed for bad photos and finally declared that we were the best bunch he had ever flown with!        

Glacier Greenland from Top, White and Brown

A stellar flight later, everyone was back at the airport cafeteria sharing stories and I was in the washroom trying to throw my intestines out from all the nausea. It wasn’t much, but it was like that little bit of air trapped in your ears and you are not at ease until it’s out. My stomach did not part with anything except that feeling of uneasiness. I dragged myself to the cafeteria table and just like all other previous bodily discomforts; this one soon mingled with the general cheer and laughter around, making me feeling better again.

Back at the camp, Simon and I had a long talk about my misadventures and his adventures in Kyoto. His eagerness to listen to my stories and ramblings makes me want to narrate them to him even more. He wanted to know more about Cambodia after Dan had declared it to everyone over dinner, and I was only happy to oblige. He also suggested some good books to read with high recommendations for ‘On being a Photographer’.

Afterwards, Simon saw me ogling at the window in our dining area, and I told him about the red cabin outside and how it might make a nice frame. Some fiddling with the reflection on the glass later, we rushed to grab our cameras. Enthusiasm has a way of rubbing off, and I was happy for the company and great Greenlandic after-dinner light. We both got some interesting shots of the window.

Soon it was time to prepare for the next day’s adventure and Jas helped me pick and sort my gear. Lykke was at the camp too and was joining us for the next day’s trip. Once again, her Greenlandic hospitality and warmth had humbled everyone else’s. She had offered to carry my extra gear and was up for sharing her extra clothes to keep me warm, fussing over which beanie colour might look better.

Towards the night, when everyone else had retired, Jason and I started talking about the next day’s trip and the journey so far. A drink later, Apu joined us and we chatted the night away as an icy wind buffeted the window fame.  

Jason and I shared stories about a project he was meant to be involved in, I was coincidentally shortlisted for, and we both had interesting memories about. How serendipitous, that one mentor and mentee who had not met each other until this trip, would have something from their past, to pull to pieces. And, just like that, we bonded more. 

Girls playing with blocksHouse through Window Frame Kangerlussuaq

Blue BuildingCute Inuit Girl

Tags: air zafari, flying, photo flight

 

 

Travel Answers about Greenland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.