Existing Member?

Di Rosa's World Read my social commentary from journeys around the globe!

Sexy Sexy Sexy - Rio de Janeiro

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 30 October 2007 | Views [690]

After a gruesome journey from Buones Aires, we arrived in Rio at 1.00am.

Already I felt a change in the air from Argentina.  The people with their European, African and Native Indian blood resulted in a glamorous and exotic blend, the climate very hot and the language, well bloody difficult!
 
Portuguese for me is a difficult language to follow and the Brazilian Portuguese is even harder with their use of Jjs and Hhs.  Spanish for me is far easier, so to say we were going to struggle communicating is an understatement.
 
The taxi ride to our hotel although dark outside filled me with an electric vibe I hadn’t felt before, Rio had something I couldn´t quite explain but whatever it was, I liked what I was feeling.
 
The following day we explored the famous Copacabana.  The weather was beautifully hot; well this is the tropics after all.  Exotic fruits were sold on most street corners and Samba music filled the air.  The energy to the city was amazing.
 
The city has literally been carved out of a mountain and the lush green hills surround Copacabana and Ipanema.  The panoramic views are spectacular, in particular the vision of Christ the Redeemer looking down on all those who visit the city.  The other one being Sugar loaf mountain, the best views can be seen from the top.  The city is also made up of Favelas scattered across the hills.  All of this adds to the beautiful charm of the city.  

In Argentina it was difficult to eat a healthy diet but here with so much fruit and salads it was great.  Paw Paws and Melons were served every day for breakfast and one could finally order a salad as a main (unlike Argentina where this is unheard of).  Finally I can shed some of those extra pounds and feel like me again! 

Ipanema is more upmarket than Copacabana and most of the restaurants, bars and cafes were here but Copacabana was still a great place to stroll around, do some shopping, and perhaps hire a bike and ride down to Sugar Loaf.

The only down side to Rio was it was very busy and the beaches were unfortunately packed full especially at the weekends.  It literally was a case of finding a spot of sand amongst everyone else, which was not my idea of a relaxing day on the beach. 

Rio de Janeiro is dramatically stunning although a little pretentious at times. Everyone on the beaches in Rio checks everyone out.  And if you are a woman who isn´t wearing a thong than something has to be wrong!! 

Rio is an excellent city to glam it up, party and get in shape and experience a totally different culture.  I was expecting the Brazilians to be loud, uncouth and in your face but despite the odd one or two I found them to be humble, genuine, sociable people, and bloody attractive to boot! Damn it

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.