Existing Member?

Di Rosa's World Read my social commentary from journeys around the globe!

Take me back to La La Land – Los Angeles

USA | Wednesday, 26 September 2007 | Views [729]

After saying our goodbyes, Jonny and I boarded separate flights, Jonny to Chile and I to Los Angeles, USA.

I was gutted to be leaving my traveling partner and I kept telling myself it's only for four days and then we will rejoin in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

After 12 hours on the flight I arrived in the City of Angels.

Los Angeles is sixteen hours behind New Zealand due to the earth’s time line which meant I departed New Zealand in the evening and arrived in LA in the morning of the same day!! Confused? I was! But the good thing about it was I gained an extra day by crossing the earth's time line.

I was a little worried about passport control, as since 9/11, the Americans, me and passport control just don’t seem to mix well. 

So at passport control I was forwarded to a desk with a Hispanic looking gentleman who sternly looked me up and down and asked for my passport.  Carlos, what else could he be called?  continued to look me up and down a few times and asked me to look into the eye camera and then for my fingerprints, left index finger first.

I, perhaps a little nervous, stupidly pressed my finger on the wet sponge instead of the glass!  Carlos looked at me with raised eyebrows and said 'not there!!!' Carlos shook his head and I started to giggle like a naughty school child.

"Ha ha ha" I laughed "I bet you've seen that before?"  Carlos not at all amused replied "I've seen and heard many things behind this desk but no one has ever done that!" Ok so Carlos must have thought I was a blundering British idiot!

Carlos then went on to ask what I was doing in LA and how long was I staying.  When I told him I was on vacation for four days he just looked me deep into my eyes and said "like I said I've heard it all before!"

I thought Carlos must be having a laugh with me surely? However I wasn’t going to stick around and ask him!

The climate in LA was beautifully hot but with a very gentle breeze, perfection. Unfortunately for Jonny, in contrast Chile was very cold.

I hollered myself a cab and headed for Santa Monica home of Baywatch.  My hostel was two blocks away from the beautiful beach and one block away from 3rd Street Promenade, the main shopping and eating area.

In my dorm of 5 other girls I met Cat. A cultured well traveled American. Kitty Cat and I clicked instantly and before I could unpack my case we were discussing culture, politics, work ethics and love, pretty deep stuff!

When I think about LA I just think...Cool.  Generally on the whole the Americans were very friendly and efficient and helpful. I thought I would find them irritating and too full on for me but that was not the case, damn it!

One of the coolest things in Santa Monica is to walk; cycle or roller-blade, whatever takes your fancy, down the beach from Santa Monica to Venice Beach.  It is not only stunning but a whole lot of fun.  The closer you get to Venice the more visually wacky it all becomes but still very, very cool.

Apart from lots of alter egos strutting their stuff everywhere you turn, you will also see fortune tellers, artists, singers, Bush activists and lots and lots of people working out on the beach whether it's yoga, karate or just rollerblading, it’s true that anything goes in LA.

Venice Beach was very colourful and vibrant if not a little wacky.  You will find the famous Muscle Beach here where men and women blatantly show off their muscled bodies and it is weird to imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger working out here.  Now he is the governor!   It could only happen in LA.

A trip to LA is not complete without taking in the sights of Hollywood, Sunset Boulevard and Beverley Hills. So I boarded a coach full of tourists and took a guided tour of the Hollywood Hills, where I saw the homes of the stars and the famous Hollywood sign.

I also went along to where the stars sometimes hang out.  Can you believe I witnessed the very location where Brad Pitt used to dress up as a chicken outside a fast food restaurant, before he was famous?  Am I a lucky girl or what?

I definitely got the impression that most people in LA either work in the movies or wants to be spotted. It is a little shallow but it’s still fun.

I was only in LA for 4 long days and I was surprised with how much I really liked the place. It does matter how you look and what you do and who you know and at times I did find it intimidating and superficial.

Although I couldn't live in La La Land I did walk away with a huge grin on my face and I would love to go back again.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.