Existing Member?

Di Rosa's World Read my social commentary from journeys around the globe!

My diet for the foreseeable future...Trout!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 10 September 2007 | Views [487]

Taupo has the largest lake in all of NZ, it is huge. Taupo also is the Rainbow Trout capital of NZ.  I guess that means it has the largest numbers of rainbow trout?

If you are into fishing, which I am not but Jonny is obsessed (surprise surprise!) than Taupo is the place to come. I think everyone believes he or she will bag the biggest trout!

After rigorous discussions with the local fishermen Jonny determined to bag a Rainbow Trout headed to the Tongariro River to fly fish whilst I cosied up to "Lady Chatterley´s Lover" and enjoyed peace, perfect peace, at last!

When Jonny appeared over the river bank he was holding not one but two large Rainbow Trout in each hand and sporting a large grin.

Wow I was impressed not one but two humongous fish! Then it hit me, hmm this might be a tad awkward as we are staying in a Hostel, what will we do with all that fish? or how will we keep it fresh?

So we sat for 15 mins brainstormimg ways to cook Trout, we figured we had as least one week's worth of dinner sorted.

So this is our Trout menu for the week:

Creamy Trout Linguini

Mustard mash with Grilled trout

Thai noodle stir-fry with Trout

Cold Trout and egg salad

Trout patties with spinach

Trout Omelette

I would go on but I don't want to make your mouths water! besides I think you get the picture!

We prepared and consumed these dishes in the hostel with a glass of red Pinot Noir whilst our fellow hostellers were eating beans on toast and 2 minute noodles!! Were we envied? just a little!

By the end of the week it wasn´t just the kitchen that stank of fish. We were all trouted out and thanked God we were off to Argentina to eat the worlds best Beef.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.