Existing Member?

The Pursuit of Leisure Don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed.

London Safe and Sound

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 12 June 2011 | Views [511]

View from outside the hotel room

View from outside the hotel room

It's 1 p.m. and I'm checking in from my hotel room at Millenium Bailey's in Kensington to report that all is well in London.  I got here without any incidents.  The plane ride wasn't as bad as I had thought; I managed to get at least 2 hours of sleep on the 9-hour journey, which is probably the most I've ever slept on a flight.  But I sat next to possibly the most annoying traveling couple you will ever want to meet.  I had the aisle seat (thankfully) and every now and then they would turn to each other and start kissing/pecking each out.  Loudly.  So loudly when I heard a baby crying 4 rows behind me it was kind of a relief.  To better give you an idea how annoying it was, they did this at least 4 times before the plane even took off.  And then by the time I had gotten really annoyed with it because I lost count after 20, I looked at my watch and realized the flight wasn't even 2 hours in yet.  Is a 9-hour flight with hundreds of strangers somehow a romantic environment?  Europeans!  I didn't bother getting up to let them go to the bathroom easier after that.

I thought since I was arriving in London at 9:15 a.m. Sunday I might be too early to check into my hotel, but luckily it was a 90-minute customs line nightmare at Heathrow, and then I took the cheapest/longest/laziest route to get to my hotel, which was the Picadilly line on the Tube, which took another hour so I didn't get here until after noon.  And surprise(!) the station had no elevator so I had to drag my giant suitcase up the wet stairs.  I pulled out my map to get my bearings and then stepped out to see that the hotel is directly across the street, so it's going to be very convenient to going around on the Tube.  Internet is ridiculously expensive here as expected, but I'm too lazy to go find some free wireless at the moment.  The room is nice enough, although probably being an older building is not going to have the normal amenities one would normally expect.  I thought I'd never have to see separate faucets for hot and cold water again, but I was wrong.

Anyways it's raining, but not badly.  I might just ride the Underground to get familiar with everything before I really explore tomorrow and hope the weather is better, or attempt to go to one of the museums which being a Sunday AND raining is going to be very crowded.  We'll see.  First thing's first though, and that's a nap!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.