Existing Member?

my little (mis)adventures ummm...where am i?

Q: "is this organic?", A: "it's naturally irish"

CANADA | Thursday, 6 August 2009 | Views [705] | Comments [1]

some guy asked that to the shopgirl about a bar of soapp in one of the many souvenier joints in dingle and that was her answer, i just still think its funny.

so the dee & ed road trip continues: dingle was a good time, did a couple of loooong day drives. slea head, around the dingle peninsula was really good, saw like an ancient fort dating back to 500bc or something and some old beehive huts made out of stones that monks used to live in.

the ring of kerry was also good, we were on the road for like 9 hrs. valentia island was really nice and we ended in killarney which is like ireland on steroids or something. it had all the super irishness of small towns (ie. lots of souvenier shops selling anything that has to do with sheep, leprachauns, guiness and ginger haired dolls in green dresses, and chinese and indian restaurants and pubs pubs pubs) but as a city. well a city by ireland standards anyway. oh and i have to say, i am in love with paddy malone in dingle. this old man just singing his heart out and playing the guitar in onen of the pubs, he was sooo good. im gonna name my future cat after him. we went to see the cliffs of moher which were great. we had to climb over a wall and ignore the "extreme danger" signs to walk along the cliffs. we were the only ones in flip flops whereas EVERYONE else was in hiking boots. who are these people?! (prepared people, i gueeessss) we stayed in doolin which was a tiny little fishing village, spent most of our time in mcdermotts pub. did a day out to inis oirr, one of the aran islands and it was sooo good! the only drawback is you have to go in a smallish boat in the choppiest water EVER to get there (oh the seasickness, oh god). plus it was the ONLY fully sunny day i had in ireland, in 19 days, one day. but its so nice! its very small and had a nice sandy beach, and everywhere is criss crossed with old stone walls. we overheard one american say, "they must really like to build walls". i think that was the best part of all of ireland. and its irish speaking so everyone sends their skanky teens to the islands to learn irish. that part isnt the best but i just thought id mention it. ended our road trip in galway which was good. it was the horse races so it was mental, maybe too mental! and now im about to leave my friend claire;s in arbroath, scotland and go back to edinburgh!

Comments

1

I thought we discussed the difference between villages, towns and cities. Killarney is a big town, not a city, but to be fair even the ones that are cities are small just have a few more chinese and indian restaurants. Anyway we'll always have Paddy Malone. Enjoy Scotland...

  Ed Aug 10, 2009 1:54 AM

About dianacchan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.