Existing Member?

my little (mis)adventures ummm...where am i?

berlin... and christians in amsterdam's red light district

CANADA | Thursday, 9 July 2009 | Views [748] | Comments [2]

i LOVE germany!

dresden was really nice cept i came down with the mother of all head colds and could barely function. dresden was the most bombed city during WWII or something but theyve rebuilt it pretty damn good. due to my cold i was rather disoriented and am not really sure what i saw for most of my time there but i saw great stuff for sure. how about that. what i DO remember seeing is a CANADIAN RESTAURANT. ok i dont know why but im still getting such a kick out of it, i even took a brochure. words can not even describe so check out this link: www.ontario-dresden.de/ the wolf, oh the wolf!

then i was off to berlin where i ran into a couple people that ive met before in other countries, imagine that. i wasnt even going to go to berlin but then im glad i did cause it was really really good. theres so much to see and do but i did a big chunk of it, the wall, checkpoint charlie, that big gate thing, jewish museum... all sorts of shit! the big stretch of the wall at the east side gallery has some amazing art on it. there was one really good museum that had the whole gate to babylon or something in it (im probably totally wrong). also at the parliament building they built some massive dome on top that you can go up in and get a great panaromic view of the city so that was pretty cool.

also went on my very first pub crawl ever and i guess it was pretty good! not that i have anything to compare it to. the first bar was supposed to be set up like a beach or something, behind some big old buildings and there was some crazy old dude with a flame thrower. who knows. ended up in some club that had some rather unattractive cage dancers. not so sure whats going on with most of the bars in berlin, one night i went into one that was listed in the lonely planet (mostly cus it's right around the corner of my hostel)and it was supposed to be all the same decor as GDR times and they were playing some wierdo 60s music with beats, maybe? we were confused.

i even had time to go to the zoo and the aquarium (ok so i picked animals over museums and culture but whatever) sooo fun!

and now im in amsterdam, staying in the red light district. i know ive been hit on the head with a ping pong ball shot out of a thai girls cootch back in bangkok, but i still find the whole scene here kinda mental. just rows of girls standing at the window of their own little compartment, complete with bed and sink, trying to look hot in their bikinis or lingerie. and yes, lots of red lights. and fried food.

but you know whats the really fucked up shit? the CHRISTIAN hostel im staying in. i was like, oh its ok, how CHRISTIAN can it be! i like christians! well! there are numerous GOD LOVES YOU and JESUS signs, no drinking and smoking (ha!) and everyone that works there has to be christian. and then my worst nightmare: i met a crazy fanatical christian within 10 minutes of being there. there i was, eating some cheese, and this girl sits down. she works there. she loves jesus. starts reciting some bible verses, talked about how christianity saved her life from her 'dark years', talks about how hard it is to try and be as great as jesus cause jesus is perfect and did so much good shit. then i just sputtered, "ummm...im not christian" and she looked so wounded. she asked, "so where do u stand?" to which i replied, "like spiritually? uhhh nowhere. but my moms kinda catholic! and my grandma's buddhist..."

Comments

1

Don't worry Dee, Jesus loves you despite your apathy towards religion...you totally should have told her you were Muslim or Jewish...

  Gautam Jul 10, 2009 1:37 PM

2

Omg i love it.... "my mom's kinda catholic"?!?!!?! hahahahha that's the best line EVER.

  Linda Jul 11, 2009 4:18 PM

About dianacchan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.