Existing Member?

Meg & Joe in SE Asia

The Cam

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 10 May 2009 | Views [761] | Comments [3]

Friends, Family - 

  We are in our last night in Cambodia. Well, we hope it's our last night but it all depends on whether we can buy plane tickets in person tomorrow for a flight to Laos. But Cambodia, oh Cambodia. I have been very pleased with this country. Despite the heat, and our exhaustion from traveling from Seattle to here, this country has been a fantastic experience.

   The Temples of Angkor are a true testament to the beauty in human craftsmanship. The time and energy (and sweat in 95 degree heat) that must have gone into building such massive structures are baffling to think about. But that's not what impressed me the most. I mean sure, the fact that thousands of hands were required for the creation of these temples and the fact that they floated tons of stone downriver is impressive. But it's the detail and the art that captures me. Everywhere is carved with beautiful artwork. Images of Gods, Kings, representations of religious stories and just symetric designs are everywhere. Every room, every hallway, and they're all consistant, all symetric, and this leaves you with a feeling of balance and peace. To the credit of the Angkor Empire, I left the Temples feeling more confident, more proud, of the human race.

   But we all know that it is not the buildings or the terrain that makes a nation, but the people. And the Cambodian people are as kind and friendly as any that I have seen. At least in Siem Reap. Meg and I rode a tuk tuk to and around the temples (cart pulled by motorcycle) and the driver was incredibly friendly. The people on the streets and in restaurants have been the same. Even though only thirty years ago the people of Cambodia were ruled by a brutal, oppressive regime, today, they seem content and calm and as friendly as any that I have met.

    Meg and I are relaxing at the moment. Tomorrow we hope to buy plane tickets in the morning and then fly to Luang Probang in Laos. Luang Probang is a river town noted for its laid-back atmosphere and temples. We don't have any plans while we are there which is great because Cambodia has been an expensive leg of our journey (Temple admission fees, transportation, etc.) and it will be nice to save a few bucks.

   We love and miss you all and hope all is well.

                   - J

   P.S. - What's the deal with the M's? Second place? Not cool. Tell Betancourt to put the team on his back and carry them like the MVP he is (that's for you Mike and Geno).    

Comments

1

Dear Meg and Joe:

Thanks so much for including us in your glorious travels.

Kim called me just a few minutes ago to wish ESM a Happy Mother's Day and we were talking about not hearing from you yet (each of us assuring the other that you were busy and tired and safe.) While we were blabbing, I clicked on your blog and let out a yip and got to tell Mom that, not only did Joe write, but your dear faces were on Flicker......

I thoroughly enjoyed the story and pictures and thank you again. I'll go get Papa so he can swell with pride, as he does whenever he speaks of you!

Stay safe, cool and, above all else, enjoy this wonderful time in your lives.

With love, and looking forward to more blogging and pictures :-)

Papa and Natalie

  Nat and Papa May 11, 2009 8:52 AM

2

So wonderful to see Cambodia through your eyes and glad to hear you're enjoying your trip so much.

We love you! and miss you.

xoxoxoxoxox
-Mom and Jerry

  K and J May 11, 2009 9:01 AM

3

Hey Joey and Megan,
We're so glad that you are safe. Your trip sounds like a great adventure. You'll meet many interesting people and learn more about the culture as you do. Keep up the journal so we can too!

  Aunt Laurie and Uncle Joe May 11, 2009 9:43 AM

About desrosm


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.