Existing Member?

6 Continents, 5 Months

Petra, Jordan

JORDAN | Thursday, 16 December 2010 | Views [334]

Today we got up at the crack of six to drive from Amman to Petra. It was a three hour drive through the countryside to get from North to South Jordan, Jordan is small than Alberta. When we got to the city of Petra we visited the ruins of Little Petra. It was just like a miniature version of the famous wonder of the world that is just down the valley. Our guide lead us through a very small door was that was randomly places in the side of a hill and I didn't know what to expect. Through the doorway was was a set of stares and a huge opening filled with water. It was where the Ancient Bedouins stored water. Then we continued through the valley and saw Little Petra. It was really cool seeing the different carvings and caves in the walls of the cliffs. There was predicted to be about 200 people living in Little Petra at it's flourishing time. After Little Petra we checked into our hotel and grabbed lunch. After lunch we went to the real Petra that everyone comes to see. It was already 3:00 and almost sundown by the time we got to the ruin gates and we only had two hours until we had to be back. We were told by a worker there that it was a one and a half hour walk from where we were to the treasury, the wonder of the world that everyone goes to see. We didn't know until we were inside already that a free horseback ride to close to the treasury was included in our ticket. Nobody else knew that I don't think because there was still ten horses in the stable. We used the horseback ride to our advantage because they made up for lost time and we rode them close to the treasury. We managed to get to the treasury and even further. It was incredible! We got some really great pictures and memories form this place. Five o'clock came around really fast and we got picked up by our driver and driven to dinner. It was similar to the Bedouin meal we had in the desert and it was delicious. We drove about forty-five minutes into the valley so we were away from city lights and away from noise. It was really peaceful. We had chicken and vegetables cooked over coals from the fire. After the dinner we drove back to the hotel and called it a night.

About derek-anderson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.