Existing Member?

Woot! for Navigation Skills This trip has been a plan in process for over a year. Now the time has come for us to galavant across far-off nations and discover hidden treasures in ancient ruins and all that sort of jazz. We shall keep you updated on our adventures as they occur...

Spanish Tradition (Torro)

CANADA | Tuesday, 12 June 2007 | Views [686] | Comments [7]

Spain.  Bullfighting.  Tradition.  Gore.  Red Capes.  Etc.

We ended up conveniently ´landing´ in Madrid on a weekend where a bullfighting competition fell.  Lucky us.  Or so we thought.

The inhumane sport of tiring out, spearing, and gouging a stupid bull to it´s death is considered top entertainment.  The poor bull had no chance.  It was almost comical to watch the bull chase after and pursue a flimsy red cape time and time again...and not learn that there was nothing behind other then a sword waiting to stab the bull in the open wound on it´s back. 

We expected the gore (as we were prewarned)...but not to the extent of what we saw.  Let´s just say this would be a one-time experience...if once.  I think half of an experience was more than plenty.  When you see a sword be buried in the back of a bull and blood come spurting out of it´s mouth and nose...you wonder just exactly what you got yourself into.  This is just a glimpse into what bullfighting is.

So next time you are in Spain...

 

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Yugh. Sounds like quite the sight. Then again... I'm sure we've all seen people doing as much to each other in the movies or on TV.

  ryan Jun 13, 2007 7:29 AM

2

I think that bulll fighting is so wrong they dont chase the cape beacuse it is red they chase it beacuse of the way it is made to move.

BULLS ARE COLOUR BLIND!!!

  james Jun 13, 2007 6:45 PM

3

So I'm writing this mostly to let you know that I am reading. You seemed a bit perturbed on face book. Also, not sure if your trip is planned to the tee or not, but my economics prof had us read some on the Basque Region. If you're headed that way it might be worth a look see. Not for tourist attraction stuff but just the way they order life.

  Jason Spoor Jun 14, 2007 10:29 AM

4

I read a book by Ernest Hemmingway about bulls in Spain once. Your story reminded me of that, I really have no other thoughts on the matter. Except...did you take pictures?

  Kyla Jun 16, 2007 8:14 AM

5

Well I sure hope that you are able to enjoy Spain despite this experience. I remember when we were in Mexico and my parents went to a bull fight, yah i think that they thought pretty much the same thing as you guys. but anyway, hope you are enjoying the Spanish culture!! I would love to be there too!

  Kirsten Jun 18, 2007 2:35 AM

6

I wanted to see a bullfight so bad! But it wasnt the season for it i guess.. meh, Ill just have no go back i spose. no big deal! haha

  Sheri-Lee Jul 4, 2007 7:18 AM

7

I wanted to see a bullfight so bad! But it wasnt the season for it i guess.. meh, Ill just have no go back i spose. no big deal! haha

  Sheri-Lee Jul 4, 2007 7:19 AM

About denae


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.