Existing Member?

My 55th Adventure Things I wish I would have known

A thing I'm glad I had

USA | Friday, 18 May 2018 | Views [448]

The thing that I'm really glad I took was my GPS. Why? Because it has helped me find things. It turns out that Google  maps is a blank because  I DIDN'T buy a local simple card. Instead I went International Service with AT&The for 50 bucks. It gives me 2Gs o for dated and unllimited texting. 

I have a handheld GPS used for geocaching where you hand enter the coodinates. I also obtained a free tourist map at the airport  that gives longitudemail and latitude  so I just found where I wanted to go and entered  the  coordinates and started walking.

Today I walked from Thamel  to Durber Square and back To Thamel  and then to Swambouth Temple or the monkey temple.. There were a few dice parts but I got there OK. 

I have two guidebooks  that give really interesting tips on things to see but the problem is getting oriented to where they start. There are no street names listed. Traffic is insane, often there are no sidewalks and then there are constantly people hawking and soliciting  you for everything  so it's hard to think and read about where you are. For me the little arrow on my GPS pointing me the way worked best as I could walk fast but still look around. 

I ended up with a guide for 750 nrs or roughly 7 bucks that was good. At the monkey temple I managed to avoid them. When I got home I found that I had missed some things outside the square but even after going there it wasn't clear where they were talking about.

I'm not saying avoiding the simple cardesign was better , I'm  just saying what  I did.

 

 

Tags: geocaching, gps, guides, kathmandu, monkey temple, sims cards, walking tours in guidebooks

About debbieprince


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.