Existing Member?

Notes and ponderings

Kaikoura

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 26 October 2008 | Views [370]

We came to see a whale and it didn’t disappoint, although he waited right until the last moment.  When we arrived we were told we were unlikely to see anything.  We had a look around town but most of the shops were shut (a theme here after 4.30pm!)  We were told about a seal colony and a look out point and set off to take a look.  

This was my first encounter with a seals.  There were some Chinese tourists taking photos with them on the beach.  I was on my way down, keeping my distance when one I hadn’t seen who was resting in the undergrowth growled at me.  Pretty fierce! Only after wandering around the area did we see the notice telling us to keep our distance.

We spent the night in a B & B and had interesting conversations with the owner and other guests.  The next morning, bright and early we went up in the helicopter, eyes peeled.  After some wonderful scenery, we eventually saw our whale.  How exhilarating it was to see such an amazing creature.

www.worldofwhales.co.nz

 

About debbie_sanook


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.