Existing Member?

AuntiesAntics

Figuring things out!

ECUADOR | Monday, 9 April 2018 | Views [423]

So I have been in Quito for one week now and I still haven’t been able to get my shit together!  All I want to do is sleep, and sleep more, I don’t know what the hell is wrong with The city is great, although the area I am living in is not safe to go out and about and do lots on my own but that has never stopped me before, and its cold here, well colder than I am used to anyways.

My program I am working on here is Street Children and it is great.  The children are not real street children per say, they have parents, food and shelter.  They do not go to school or have the opportunity to get an education so that’s what we do for them, they are expected to work in the markets with their parents.  I am working in the local markets (not the ones tourists go to), the ones for the locals, we go there and walk around the market and pick up the children from their parents who are selling items in the market.  Once we have collected all the children, the numbers vary depending on the day/market we are at, we take them to an area we have with tents set up to teach them, play games with them, and just allow them to be children instead of having them working in the stalls with their parents.   It really is a great program and one that is very needed here, the children themselves are great and just want what all children want, attention and someone to listen, or with the young ones (they start at 1 one year old), they just want snuggles, and that is something I am very good at.  Last week there was one day when we had so many babies under 12 months old that all I did for the whole morning was sit with a baby on my lap and give snuggles, pretty easy day I would say!e???  I am supposedly living the dream right???  So why I am not able to be motivated to do anything here?  Could be jet lag (8 hour time difference from Nairobi to here) or that I am nearing the end of my trip and I have just realized that, or that I am missing Kenya, who knows but I better snap out of it soon!!!  I’ve got exploring to do here, and adventures to make happen!!

 

 

About deanneandwilbur


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.