Existing Member?

Travel Blog

Prague

CZECH REPUBLIC | Thursday, 8 August 2013 | Views [397] | Comments [1]

 

Prague:

Prague is similar, in my opinion to Amsterdam, except is hasn't sold its soul to the tourist masses. Sure, there are tourists here, quite a lot of them in fact, but you won't see any neon lights or anything like that, except at the night clubs.

I'll talk about the hostel in a later post, but aside from some minor things I really enjoyed it there. The night I arrived we all went on a pub crawl, at about 1 AM, at a night club near the river I had enough and wanted to go home, I had been traveling all day and needed sleep. It was raining, the first rain I'd seen since landing in Paris. That wasn't the problem though, I didn't know the way back and didn't have a map. I had paid attention to various landmarks on the way there and if I could find one I'd be set. I didn't have my phone either, so couldn't use it's compass to point me in the right direction. Walked in wider and wider circles for an hour, passed the night club three times before walking into a hotel and asking for a map, still took me another 30 minutes to get home but once I found a remembered landmark I was good to go.

Prague's castle doesn't feel like a castle, more like a compact town, with its narrow streets and alleyways. It's cathedral at its centre was nice. I did get some good video f the changing of the guard.

I've sort of been museumed out, since Berlin, so i wasn't really interested in seeing more, i just wanted to relax a bit.

On my last full day I took a train a hour east of Prague to a place called Kutna Hora. According a pamphlet at the hostel a place called the Bone Church was situated nearby. It didn't disappoint, monks from hundreds of years ago would collect dead warriors from the field of battle and make monuments with their bones.

I had decided to go to Krakow because a lot of people I met in Berlin were going to or coming from the place. I knew nothing of it, aside from Auschwitz.
.

Tags: bone church, prague

Comments

1

Everybody like a bit a hora!

  numbnuts Aug 23, 2013 8:01 AM

About deanm


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.