Existing Member?

Dawn's digressions I got restless. So I went to Ecuador to learn how to make compost and speak better Spanish.

I love Cuenca

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 1 July 2008 | Views [987] | Comments [2]

We've been in Cuenca for two days now and I love the place. The architecture is stunning, lots of beautiful colonial buildings and cobbled streets. The atmosphere is friendly and there's lots of cultural stuff going on. And the shops! Every third one seems to be a bakery or cake shop selling all manner of delicious treats. Needless to say I'm feeling a bit full up.

So far we've been to the Museum of Modern Art, which was great. Although the collection itself was small, it's housed in a low-slung white building with polished tile floors and quiet interior courtyards that is worth a visit in itself.

Then we had a look at how Panama hats are made. Contrary to popular belief, they are actually made here in Cuenca from palm fibres grown around Montecristi and Jipijapa, and not in Panama. The museum was interesting and I treated myself to a very fetching hat that will look great with a fitted shirt, jeans and heels :) Again, it was worth going  just to see the building, which overlooked the river and the new town with the mountains behind. The curious little café attached to the museum was lots of fun, too.

We've been sampling a few of the bars in the evenings and my favourite drink of the moment is caneleza, a hot sugar-cane rum drink mixed with fresh orange juice and flavoured with cinnamon. Delicious. The odd carajillo - coffee laced with brandy - has also helped to keep out the cold. And cold it is! I slept in my thermals last night. It's dry though, so I don't mind it being a little chilly.

I'm hoping to go hiking in the Cajas National Park tomorrow, although I'm still undecided as to whether we should try it on our own or hire a guide. The guides cost a lot of money and I'm perfectly able to follow a marked trail myself. We shall see.

After a little sleep (we're all incredibly tired for some reason) we're planning on going to a free piano recital this evening, or possibly going to the cinema, as there's a European film festival on at the minute. Top banana. I'll let you know how things go...

Comments

1

Sounds like you are having a great time.
Received your letter today. Thanks.
So nice to get something real for a change, instead of electronic emails.
What are you doing to celebrate your birthday on the 4th?
Running is still going well finished 105th out of 357 on the last 5.
In the top 29%, my aim is top 25% so will have to keep training.
Have a wonderful birthday.
Speak again soon.
love Dad and Nan
XXXX

  Dad and nan Jul 2, 2008 11:26 PM

2

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG SIS, YOU ARE 30!! Wooooowwwwwww!!!! Really hope you have a fantastic day and celebrate with all your new found friends. Sounds asthough you're having an amazing time, i'm jealous! All going well here in Canada, just bought a big super cab truck (as you do when in canada), very redneck! Just did my first yoga class at the gym i joined, was great and a good chance to meet some new people. Anyway just realised it might be the day after your birthday now where you are so if so hope your hangover is not too bad. Sorry i couldn't get to speak to you on your big day. Thinkin of u lots and speak soon, love you lots, stay happy and safe travels. You can have your pressi when you get back. love you, your ickle sis xxxxx

  Donsey Jul 5, 2008 6:25 AM

About dawnski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.