Existing Member?

Dawn's digressions I got restless. So I went to Ecuador to learn how to make compost and speak better Spanish.

A few musings...

ECUADOR | Sunday, 22 June 2008 | Views [677] | Comments [8]

It's Sunday now and I feel nicely relaxed, as I steered clear of the partying last night and went to bed at around 9. Never let it be said that I don't know how to have a good time! It seems as though I missed lots of mischievous goings on though. Still, I got to enjoy all the happenings vicariously over breakfast without having the hangover that went with them ;)

After having dined on a good breakfast of wholemeal pancakes and fruit salad, and haggled for a pretty little summer dress (my one concession to beach life over here) I now intend to spend the day in various hammocks reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" (look it up, it's great). I'm becoming more and more enthusiastic about my plans to become a permaculture designer and have been coming up with so many good ideas on how to go about it. It's such a relief to be feeling enthusiastic about learning and working after having spent such a long time being frustrated with my work and trying to devise means and excuses to avoid it. I have a vocation! I plan to start off by aquiring a laptop and lots of reading, research and reference material to feed my new-found enthusiasm. I'll then look into finding permaculture workshops to attend in Germany and/or England, as I don't want to go through a whole course of study again. And I also plan to find people working in the same field to learn from, either through apprenticeship or job-shadowing. Anyone with a garden or even a balcony that I can experiment on, please make yourselves known and I'll come round with a tape measure, compass and note pad to give you a free design! I feel a plan forming. This makes me very happy. I can't wait to get home now and get started on reshaping my life, even though I know I shouldn't be wishing away my time here.

It was great to speak to you all yesterday - hooray for Skype and stupidly cheap phone calls. Oh and Perry - ANSWER YOUR PHONE, YOU MUPPET! Hope you had fun in Basle :)

I'll write again next weekend after my final week on the farm (thank goodness!), by which time I should have more concrete travel plans, too. Take care people and thanks for keeping in touch - it warms the cockles of my heart!

 

Comments

1

Hey Dawn,
Don't see why we can't have a permaculture garden to go with our passive house!
Try to enjoy Peru in the meantime though!
love shed x

  shed Jun 23, 2008 7:06 PM

2

Hiya
Sorry for being so crap at keeping in touch - I've no excuse :-(
Certainly sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Descriptions of Galapagos sound fab - cant wait to see all the photos.
And good to hear you've found your "calling" :-) We'd be happy for you to experiment in our garden too ;-)
Well hope you enjoy the rest of the trip and chat again soon.
Love
Sinead

  Sinead Jun 23, 2008 7:17 PM

3

Well, our house is taking shape rapidly and you are more than welcome to attempt to turn the building site into an organic masterpiece! I can even offer you free labour (and fertiliser) from a two year old assistant with his own spade.....

Take care,
Rich, Doris and James

  Rich Jun 23, 2008 9:38 PM

4

I, maybe like others, have been intending to write for bloomin ages - thought I'd better get this in before you get back !!!
I have to say that I have nothing but admiration for you - from what I've read it seems to have been a fantastic experience - you've seen and lived things that many other people can only dream about and it's great that you've been inspired to take on something new - I'm almost apologetic that we haven't a garden with which you can experiment !
Hopefully we'll get to hear about your travels first-hand when you return home. Enjoy the rest of your time out there.
Take care and be safe.
All the best, Keith, Sabine, Laura and Liam

  Keith Jun 23, 2008 10:33 PM

5

Hi Dawn!

Have enjoyed catching up on reading your journal (have just come back from two weeks in Tuscany - no sharks to swim with there unfortunately!). The boat bit reminded me of us in New zealand - hope you didn't get sea sick like someone we could mention! Am relieved that it has all turned out well and lived up to your expectations - it really sounds as though it has been the best trip ever! Make the most of the time you have left over there!!!! You are not missing much here. Will be very excited when I get to see you again though :-) (Keep safe).
Rach
x

  Rachael Anderson Jun 23, 2008 11:16 PM

6

Hi Big Sis

Sounds amazing and inspirational!!

Love and miss you

Your ickle sis xx

  Donski Jun 24, 2008 7:58 AM

7

Hey!

You can come and experiment on our garden any time!

Enjoy the rest of your time there - I'd gladly swap with you right now so don't wish it away!

See you when you get back,

Bx

P.S. Went to the theatre again and saw something that was actually really good this time!

  Beth Jun 25, 2008 12:52 AM

8

It all sounds very lovely. We too have a garden you can plan for us. At the moment it's filled with recycled bricks ready to build the wall for our vegetable plot.

Do you know when you will be in the UK? Would be great if we get the chance to meet up.

Enjoy your last few weeks.
Jayne
xxx

  Jayne Jun 26, 2008 9:18 PM

About dawnski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.