Existing Member?

Dawn's digressions I got restless. So I went to Ecuador to learn how to make compost and speak better Spanish.

Off to the farm

GERMANY | Friday, 2 May 2008 | Views [695] | Comments [4]

There's not much to report today, as yesterday was quite uneventful. Got up late, tried some Ecuadorian food: sweetened cornmeal dumplings steamed in corn husks with cheese melted over the top for breakfast, very tasty. And ceviche for lunch - a thin soup of chunky raw fish marinated in lemon juice with red onion and tomato, seasoned with coriander, really, really tasty. And served with popcorn and banana chips.

My trip to the botanical gardens never happened due to the rain and tasty food, so I just hung around in the hostel and read up on Ecuador.

I'm still being plagued by jet lag; was awake at 4 this morning. And my appetite is also not its usual gluttonous self. This could be a good thing though.

Another girl going to the farm arrived last night and we're setting off at around 10 today. I'm excited! My next post probably won't be until next weekend now but it would be great to hear from you all so I know what I'm missing back at home. Thanks to everyone who's been in touch so far, it's very much appreciated!

Comments

1

Hi Dawn, Lovely to hear your news and that all is well with you. Your diet sounds like its taking a huge upward leap for the better!!
Great news today from Donna(Cyclone) she has been called for filming THE FINAL she rang me this morninf and was called up last night so we are anxiously awainting news on how everything has gone. Your Mum, along with Gwen Russell and Ruth, have gone up today for the filming (they were going before the news of Donna's callup) so lucky them they hopefully have got to see her in action.
I will pass your news on to your Mum and keep checking your messages. Really pleased you are having a good time and hope The Farm is great fun. Thinking of you and wishing we were there.
Luv you loads
from AP & UB xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Brian Alec Read May 5, 2008 2:47 AM

2

Hi Dawn
Great idea to keep a journal and you can be sure I'll be following it jealously to hear about your adventures. Hope the jet lag is improving now not to mention the appetite so you can sample more of that yummy sounding food :-) Cant wait to hear your experiences on the farm!

Just back from Egypt yesterday which was really amazing. Had a fab time and saw so many sights and history. It was really awe inspiring. Also very very hot at up to 45C and no rain so mostly stayed in the shade but managed to avoid getting burnt too much. People seem to depend on the tourists a lot and do tend to hassle you but are a very friendly, humerous and romantic race so it was easy enough to get rid of them with a smile and a "La, shokran" or no, thanks. They seem to like the pale skinned, red hair look and Steve kept being told what a "lucky guy" he was everywhere we went. Not sure he believed them though ;-) He did get offered 15,000 camels for me from one guy - dont know how many euros that is but he thankfully declined as I dont think I could put up with the heat and lack of green for ever. Didnt have so much good food (mostly international food buffets) as you I think but less of the jet lag with such a little time difference.

It is hard to describe it all so I'll leave it to the photos which I'll send you the link to whenever we get around to getting them up online!

Well, looking forward to the next instalment.

S xx

  Sinead May 5, 2008 11:50 PM

3

Hello You
Sounds like you are having a great start to your trip.

You have heard about Donna being called up, she is doing the semi finals and the final.
If you go to Gladiatorszone.co.uk you can register and see some photos and comments.

Glad you met your old school friend over there

enjoy yourself

Lots of love
Dad and Nan
xxxxx

  Dad and Nan May 6, 2008 1:22 AM

4

First, I read "Dawn's Digestion", and I thought ... "hang on, I really don't want to read about that!". I got that one sorted, alright.
We had a soso gig last weekend on the asparagus festival in Schwetzingen (apparently they have chosen to promote this one with a poster of what most people would refer to as a dildo ... I had the impression, tho, that the lovely locals didn't find my oblique remarks too amusing) Apart from that, same old, same old. Summer has realle started to kick in recently, which is rather nice. I hope you are not as nervous anymore.

  Achim May 6, 2008 5:55 AM

About dawnski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.