Existing Member?

Adventure before dementia

Tadoba, Maharashta

INDIA | Friday, 15 March 2019 | Views [276] | Comments [2]

The main purpose for travelling to this quite remote area is to see tigers. We did have a fairly quick way to get here that involved two flights and a 2.5 hours car drive. Unfortunately the airline cancelled the flights the week before and it wasn't possible to replace them with any other airline. Plan B, a 16 hour train journey and then a 2.5 hour drive! We had a first class sleeper cabin booked so it was reasonably comfortable and it had beds so we did get some sleep. It was definitely worth the journey though because we saw two tigers on our very first safari. They crossed the road in front of the jeep so it was a really good view. We also saw a number of different deers, antelope, wild boar, monkeys and lots of birds. Just being in the jeep driving through the reserve was exciting. The following couple of days we did safaris in a canter which is an open top bus. This was also great but in12 hours of safari we had one glimpse of a tiger in the far distance! It made our first sighting even more special. For our last safari we were back in a jeep and as well as lots of birds we got a fantastic sighting of a sloth bear which came right up to the jeep. This was a bit intimidating as it has huge claws and is nearly as big as me. Brilliant to see though. To get to thundreds of years. All farming was completed by hand, ox carts were carrying the goods, ladies were walking with produce on their heads and drawing water fhe start of the final safari we travelled through a really ancient village. It was like going back rom the well. It was fascinating to see but very humbling and embarrassing looking down from our jeep.

 

Our hotel was great and all food still fantastic. Off on another epic journey now. It involves a taxi, a flight, a taxi and on overnight train! Hopefully with a beer stop in Bangalore on the way. Love Dawn and Mark xxx

Comments

1

Hi Mark, Hope you were careful getting on the open topped bus for the safari because on the photo it looks like a wild animal is already on & looking for its dinner. Dad XXX

  Peter Wilson Mar 16, 2019 12:52 AM

2

Really glad you got to see the tigers! Cheers to a beer stop to celebrate xx

  Claire B Mar 16, 2019 3:35 AM

About dawnandmark

Perfect end to a perfect day

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.