Existing Member?

World Adventure

Journey to Switzerland begins

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 10 September 2012 | Views [668]

Journey begins...
We abandoned our furchild Oliver (Golden Retriever) in Crookwell. Not sure how that is going to work out but maybe some in the household will benefit from the increased activity and maybe one will receive  benefits in the form of increased food consumption. Only time and the weigh in on day 43 will tell......  Early start from Crookwell  to Goulburn followed  by the train trip to Central and onto the international airport.
Discovered at the airport that  we had forgotten to transfer  the second set of back up credit cards from a bag that had been  left in Crookwell.Oh well time to resort  to emergency plan B and that  was to  grab a travelex cash card and loaded it up with Euros just in case it was required  as an emergency backup.Note to self:just like Santa make a list and check it twice!!!
We followed the progress of the plane on the monitor and Australia seemed to go on and on forever. Shouldn't really come as any great surprise its a big bloody country. There was  a surprising abundance of water. Lakes of water.  It is normally so dry.
I had forgotten how the  red sandy deserts and sand dunes of Australia lined up in a predominant direction.  They looked like sand patterns left by the lapping of waves by a gently receding tide.
The first leg of the flight done Sydney to Bangkok. Flying Thai. Rattly old 767. Lovely polite Thai hosts.Thai chicken on offer but not available due to low supply had to settle roast.  Relatively comfortable 2 children's movies and Snow white and the huntsman followed by delicious pawn curry. 2 cans of drink a little wine with dinner and plenty of water.
Interesting spotting and identifying the sections of Asia. Indonesia, Malaysia then Thailand.
Vanessa noted that something nearby smelt like vomit. My shoes and socks happened to be off at the time. Covering them with a blanket had no effect.
Chaotic Bangkok airport. Still glad to be here and off the plane after a  9hr fight. Certainly noticed the increase in temperature.  Bottleneck at escalators for transit passenger followed by security then 380m walk. 
Having got to the departure gate sat down to check emails only to find out that the free 1hr wifi required a password that needed to be obtained from the information counter on the other side of the airport.
Next leg. Bangkok to Zurich. 12hr flight.
I was grumpy and tired at this point and was not impressed to find myself squeezed into an aircraft more suited for a non-frills domestic carrier. There were spare seats and I grabbed a more suitable one for some leg room; I was later to find that the row that I was in was the only row in which the arm rests were fixed and other more savvy passengers were enjoying  the luxury of sleeping across four empty seats. Mental note. Book an end seat of a central four seat isle for each of us next time as it looks like the airlines fill the outside twin rows first for some reason. Still at this point I could have slept standing up and was asleep in minutes only to wake in the middle of the night and remain awake. Vanessa and i watched plenty of movies to pass the time away and the flight went surprisingly fast.Editor:The flight may have gone fast for some but not for others.Whilst David slept I ate yet another meal to pass the time and watched more movies,drank copious amounts of fluid and walk the aisle.....

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.