Existing Member?

World Adventure

Penang

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 12 June 2010 | Views [1147] | Comments [1]

Hi all,

Georgetown,the oldest British settlement in Malaysia ,is a fascinating place and we wish that we had been able to dedicate more time and energy to it and Penang. The temperature generally hovers around the mid 30s and the humidity is an energy depleting range of between 70-80% .Whilst Georgetown didn´t prove to be a great cultural event in terms of intellectual  input it did prove to  be a culinary adventure.Sure we walked around the old colonial district,visited Cornwallis fort and spent hours  walking around the streets looking at the colonial architecture, the Penang museum and  we climbed the pagoda at  Kek Lok Si temple, the biggest  Buddhist shrine in Malaysia, but the activity that occupied a big portion of  our time was sourcing  and eating  the  huge  variety of good food that was  on offer. oink oink oink .

Numerous publications, including Time magazine, have recognized Penang as having some of the world’s best street food. This claim is backed up by Malaysians, who, it seems, vacation in Penang specifically to eat the street food.

Many local restaurants and cafes produce above average cuisine while charging below average prices.

As with other food stalls in Asia, most stalls specialize in one dish. There is generally no menu available. The name of a cook’s product is usually marked somewhere on the stall and the food is on display.Usually this would or at least could  present a problem but we were armed  with a brochure  called ´Penang Food Trail´which guided as around the city.

Penang’s food is influenced by Chinese, Indian, and local cuisine called Nyonya.Whilst we didn´t manage to consume all 27 items on the food trail we did our best to sample a large number of them including nasi kandar,hokkien mee, Char Koay kak, fried koay Teow,roti canai,wan thani mee and last but not least cendol.I pretty sure that we consumed far more fat and salt than the heart foundation recommends and I´m sure that our joints are groaning about the excess kiliograms that are starting to pile on but our motto is eat as much as we can now in preparation for the famine which will undoubtedly occur when we see the price of food in Australia.Food is cheap and good and our arteries will hopefully  recover.

Bye for now,

David and Vanessa

Comments

1

What no Photos

  Greg Ross Jun 12, 2010 8:08 PM

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.