Existing Member?

World Adventure

Sepilok Orang-utan Rehabilitation centre

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 19 May 2010 | Views [830]

Hello All,
It was a bit of a hassle trying to find where the bus was located but   thanks to the help of some friendly locals  we eventually managed to locate and catch the bus out to park.The Sepilok Orang utang Rehabilitation Centre was set up in 1964 to rehabilitate orphaned baby orang utan. Set in the lush 4,300-hectare Kabili-Sepilok Forest Reserve, the Centre  is under the administration of the Wildlife Department of Sabah   A boardwalk leads you to a viewing gallery and feeding platform where the apes are fed milk and bananas twice a day.It is not a Zoo and  Feeding time also attracted long-tailed macaques to the area  and from what we witnessed it seemed that the Orang utan were mainly interested in the milk on  offer and were  happy to let the macaques  eat more than their  fair share of the  fruit on  offer.

 Seeing  the relatives has always been high up on  the ´must´ see  list along side the Big 5 in Africa ,Gorilla´s in Uganda, Polar Bears and many others so it was something that we had been looking forward to for a long long time.As you know Orang-utans  are  the closest living relatives to humans  and  it was extremely  easy to  see a close physical resemblance between orang utans and humans.They  even share  some  very human traits  like  cleaning their fingernails with their teeth ,picking their noses and scratching  their arse´s.

 During our time at the Orang utan Rehabilitation Centre we had the opportunity to get quite close to  a couple off the  orang-utans because after the initial feeding people seemed to immediately leave the area, which as we were too learn was a big mistake as two orang utans  stayed around and this allowed us to get quite close to them.Often  the Orang-utans, which were walking along the board walk railings, would stop and look over their shoulders at us to see if we were still following and it seemed to me that they weren´t concerned that we were following them they actually seemed to want us to continue on the slow journey  back into the jungle.On several occasion the young female  Orang-utan would stop and sit on the railings and as a consequence we would stop as well  so at times she was no  more than a couple of metres away from us.They say that looking into the eyes of a orang-utan is like looking into the eyes of a human.Not sure that I would go as far as to say that but I do think that they have very soulful eyes and MOST seem naturally shy and gentle very similar to me  in nature  I think!!!

We obtained our permit from the rangers and set off on our  5km walk in the rainforest but didn't find any big wildlife just small insects and bugs. It was oppressively hot and humid in the rainforest so we were glad to be out again soon. We checked our legs for leeches but couldn't find any but later whilst watching a documentary about the centre we had to  laugh because  some else who had been walking in the rainforest seemed to be continually  removing leeches from himself during the initial part of the  documentary. Later it seemed that we may have been a little hasty in thinking that we had survived the leech infested rainforest unscathed because  Vanessa  had just had a shower and was sitting in her pyjamas when I noticed a growing blood stain on the leg of her pants  and upon  closer inspection  we discovered that a  blood thirsty  leech had obviously attached itself to her thigh , filled up and left unnoticed just leaving a bleeding hole which thanks to the anticoagulant was bleeding  like a stuck pig.

Anyway back to the story .Between the first and second feeding sessions we had several hours to kill .We did contemplate going to the Rainforest discovery centre but decided that it was just too hot so we sat watched ,waited  and listened whilst eating our picnic lunch of tuna ,crackers  and apples that we stole from the orang utan fruit bin. We saw a wild horn bill in the trees and we watched a beautiful  butterfly ballet before  deciding that it was time to get up and  wander around. Found a black and white banded snake near one of the buildings but it sped off before we could capture the moment on film ,watched monkeys hiding from the sun under the quarantine section  of the complex and after numerous watching lizards scampering off in every direction when we approached we discovered that it was time to re enter the centre.

afternoon session


Got in early and it wasn't long before a couple of orang-utans turned up with mischief written on their faces. They climbed onto the board walk and approached us and another person. There were no staff around at this point. We avoided the orang-utans   but the other person ended up with one clinging onto his leg and then it  proceeded to unzip his waist bag and try and pull out the contents. He ended up giving me his camera and waist bag to me but  then the orang utan decided to suck on his knee before heading down and biting one of his shoes. It was funny watching him try to peel the orang-utan  off as each freed hand was replaced with a foot or another hand but eventually he freed himself. We had no intention getting involved. Then two more tourists turned up and got chased around by the orang utans. We were doing circles around a partition keeping it between us and them but for some reason a couple of older asian tourist decided to stop. Not a good idea. One orang-utan grabbed the ladies  backpack and proceeded to open zippers and remove  items from within the bag.At one stage one of the orang utans  had a USB cable in its mouth and a camera case between its feet. The orang-utans then turned their attention to her husband his big SLR camera  and his camera bag.They tussled with the SLR camera for a while  and when it became evident that they were not going to win that new play toy the  camera bag became their next target.Unfortunately for the two tourist the naughty orang utans managed to acquire the object of their desire and to our horror and amusement one of them managed to  unzipped the bag pulled out a couple of expensive looking camera  lenses and commenced  banging them together whilst the other  zipped the padded lining out of the  bag.Thankfully the  rangers  eventually  showed up and the two orang utans were taken away with big grins on their faces to sit in the naughty chair  and calm was restore.Another orang utan was also removed for some demeanour and it was carried away by another two rangers . This was about the time the the masses arrived and the official feeding session commenced only to discover that they had missed the main.Only two orang-utans came to the feeding platform and neither seemed overly interested in  eating  the  fruit on offer but yet again the uninvited  macaques hooked into the fruit with gusto.The event was over with 15 minutes as the orang-utans disappeared back into the jungle.I think that some of the tourist that came too late for the main event ,the naughty juveniles, walked away a little disappointed but we certainly weren´t.

Bye,

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.