Existing Member?

World Adventure

kota Kinabalu 1

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 11 May 2010 | Views [773]

Hello All,

Unlike Thailand scooters seem to be a  relative novelty in Borneo  but we managed to locate one company that was willing to hire bikes to foreigners .gogosabah.com was the name of the new company and this is where we spoke to an extremely friendly, extremely helpful guy called Joel who rented  us a little 125cc "automatic"  bike.This bike felt like an asia bike designed for slimline compact Asians  and as you know we are much more generously build Westerns.Thankfully we were overseas when the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) were collecting data on their National Health Survey on obesity or the percentage could have been fractional higher ....anyway  from  the minute that we got onto the bike  it felt uncomfortable.I know that the Asians have no concept of personal space  and to them the closer you are to each other the  better but when two people need to co ordinate breathing whilst riding a  scooter  then you know that you need to ask to have your scooter  supersized. We eventually positioned ourselves so that we could breath freely and set off on our journey to Kinabalu National Park home to the highest mountain in South-East Asia 4,095 metres (13,435 ft) above sea level.At the first small bump in the road the suspension bottom out and we knew it was going to be an arduous and painful journey but we continued on anyway.The scooter was a thirsty little beast and at one stage we feared that we were going to run out of petrol and with no petrol station in sight we decided that there was nothing that we could not other than turn the engine off each and every time  we careered down a hill and hope that the power assisted brakes would instantly respond to the turn of the key,only joking you don´t get brake assisted brakes on a motorbike.We had  a discussion  and decided that  there was nothing for it but to push on and hope for the best.The panicky feeling gradually dissipated and  the petrol gauge stopped being looked at every nano second  but still there was no petrol in sight.We suspected  that worst case scenario a local would help us if we ran out of fuel.The jungle is trying to reclaim power poles and drainage channels running parallel to the road and maintenance workers are valiantly attempting to tame the jungle with whipper snippers but it is a losing battle and I imagine that as soon as they finish one section they need to turn around and do it all again.The clouds were closing in on us but we were still able to see Mountain Kinabalu through its shroud of misty clouds.The road to Kinabalu national Park  cuts through lush countryside dotted with traditional village houses which  gives you a rather scenic journey.We made it to the National park entrance and were informed that there was petrol 6km away so we breathed a sigh of relief and brought our tickets for the park.We step off the bike only to be greeted by a gentleman from Western Australia who told us that he comes over to Borneo regularly to do volunteer work on  a Rotary supported  community  project to ensure that villages have clean water.He had previous climbed Mount Kinabalu so wasn´t climbing this time but was there with his son who was climbing.He asked if we were climbing and we said that we were undecided to which he said that we would have needed to have booked 3-6mths ago to get a permit to climb.We both knew that we had read this on various websites but knew that this information was incorrect   and this was confirmed by going to the permit office and then the accommodation bookings office where we were informed that if a first born child was sacrificed for the cause (Sorry Kim)or alternatively $345 MR + permit fees+compulsory insurance + compulsory guide  we would have the privilege of climbing the mountain.We told them that we would think about it and that is exactly what we are doing thinking.about it We headed off into the forest on a walking trail and just as well did the rain started to tumble.
 The trail that we were on  was not a very interesting  jungle trail as we could see a building through the trees and the sound of cars driving past in the distance so only walked for about 2kms before turning back to the carpark. I´m sure that deeper into the park it is a botanical paradise that is rich in flora and fauna but it just wasn´t a good day to delve deeper into the jungle.

We came across a well prepared backpacker who had set up a temporary shelter across the path so that he didn't get wetonly problem with this was that it meant that we needed to climb over his ropes. Hmmm.He sheepish apologized then retreated deep within his shelter to resume eating. We sat under a shelter for a while near the botanic gardens to wait for the rain to pass before heading off in search of some petrol for the scooter. We may return to Mount Kinabalu in the very near future.


We didn't find any petrol 6km away but did find the Kundasang war memorial and gardens commemorating the 2,428 Australian and British prisoners, 641 who died during World War II at the Sandakan POW Camp, and the casualties of the three infamous forced death marches from Sandakan to Ranau under the Japanese. It also serves as a tribute to the many local people who risked their lives while aiding the prisoners of war. Only six Australians survived in this tragedy to tell their horror and there were no English survivors.It has four interlocking but separate gardens to represent the homelands of those who died: an Australian Garden, a formal English Garden of roses, a Borneo Garden with wild flowers of Kinabalu and at the top level is the 'Contemplation Garden' with a reflection pool and pergola. It was a very respectful memorial and well worth the visit.Such a waste of life. Next we headed to Ranau and found a petrol station. The distance between petrol stations is much greater in Borneo than Thailand presumably as the preferred mode of transport is a car rather than a motor scooter. We were surprised to find that the price of petrol was just 1.8 Ringgit per litre so it is no wonder that there are so many cars! I decided to continue along and follow a loop to Tamburan, passing across the crocker mountain range, Donggongan and back to Kota Kinabalu. It was an interesting ride through the mountains and on quite good quality road until we struck extensive road works. Not exactly what I expected to find on a major highway and it got worse as the gravel was large making it feel like we were riding on ball bearings. It was quite a challenge as there were some steep descents and the rear brakes of the scooter were not good enough to halt the scooter forcing me to use the front brakes which placed us in greater danger of slipping over. I was quite relieved after we safely navigated the 20km of road construction and returned to bitumen road. Still we kept on coming across washout sections every couples of kms along the way for the next 30 or 40km. The weather was closing in on the mountains as happens in the afternoon. It was clearly raining in some valleys and with distinct cut offs between the areas affected. We decided to stop and put on our wet weather clothing and within a few minutes wet hit one of the wet valleys but when we left it the rain continued heavily with water strongly running across the roads. Eventually we pulled out of the rain just before the turn off to the Crocker range and decide to get more  petrol before proceeding for the last 81 km to Kota Kinabalu. We had time for a quick icecream each, which cost more than the petrol for the scooter, before heading off as I felt that we would need to keep moving to make it back before dark. We were quickily rising up the mountain range and the rain again started and continue getting heavier the higher we climbed and the temperature also was dropping. I needed to reduce the speed of the scooter as it was difficult to see out of the full face helmet due to the amount of rain. The rain continued to get heavier and was striking us so heavily that it hurt. We found a shelter near the Tambunan Rafflesia reserve and rode the scooter under it and waited for the rain to lighten. I don't think that it would have been a nice day to look for the worlds largest flower and it probably would have been a waste of time as the flowering season is about February. We were soaking wet as our wet weather gear was no match for torrential rain. The wind was blowing and we were almost at 2000m and remarkably cold. Equatorial Borneo is green and lush because the jungle is watered daily. Still it was excellent to be sitting under a shelter in the pounding rain. The great outdoors. Perhaps this was the real reason that people drove cars rather than motor scooters. Unfortunately the rain got heavier and we just had to wait. It didn't look like stopping so we both just took a deep breath, hopped on the scooter and headed off again. I expected that we would start warming up as we descended down the mountain and this was correct. The rain lightened as we dropped down the  mountain range revealing and absolutely stunning rainforest. We needed to stop often as the jarring suspension was torturing Vanessa, the usual numb backsides and my knees were finding it hard going due to the size of the scooter. This gave us a chance to admire the views and the extent of the range. We hoped that we might see some wildlife but given the rain were fairly certain that it was just wishful thinking. We got low enough for the rain to almost stop and it was a great view to see the mountain peaks poking through the clouds and being illuminated by the low sun. We were glad to get back to Kota Kinabalu but it was still a challenge as my knees had  temporarily seized up  presented a problem at the stop lights. It was a great day but too long on a little scooter. I think we had ridden about 250km for the day.    

Next day.

We woke to a blue sky day and had the scooter for another day but didn't really want to ride far after yesterday. We decided to ride south and have a look at the beach at Papar. I took us for a detour looking for some jungle roads without success. It was a little bit of fun trying to find the beach and we ended up driving on some tiny roads through small Muslim communities before eventually finding a so so beach. We didn't stay long and headed back to Kota Kinabalu after dropping into Giant supermarket for some lunch food, snacks and an icecream.(constantly thinking of our bones) We were glad to get back and I returned the scooter early. I think the previous day had taken too much out of us.

Tomorrow we fly to Sandakan on the eastern side of Sabah.

Bye,
David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.