Existing Member?

World Adventure

Ko phi phi

THAILAND | Thursday, 29 April 2010 | Views [868]

Hi All,

Ko Phi Phi (pronounced Ko Pee Pee)The Phi Phi Islands are located in the Phang Nga Bay (Krabi Province) which is  located in the Andaman Sea. This stunning setting is located in the Eastern Indian Ocean.

Day 0. Civilised start to the day as the boat left Krabi town at 9am. Was good as we got a river ride on the way to the next stop at the krabi pier. The boat filled up and it  was a nice ride past some of the islands we had visited before getting to Ko Phi Phi at 1130am. There was no shortage of accommodation offers and we decided to take a cheap room (500baht) about 3min from the beach in Loh Dalum Bay in the main village. It was a bit of a hassle as the agency wouldn't let us inspect the place so we took a chance. It was an oven during the day but cooled off nicely at night. I relaxed for much of the day while Vanessa went for a wander in the village. Hot and humid during the day. Actually our first impression was that Ko Phi Phi was ugly but we had only seen the sprawling ugly commercial side. We booked a couple of tickets for a day trip around Ko Phi Phi Don and nearby Ko Phi Phi Leh (the island from the movie the beach) at a cost of 500 baht each.

Ate at a local restaurant near the beach for dinner which was filling but not quite up to the standard that has been set elsewhere in Thailand. The same goes for the fruit shakes. Still it was food and relatively cheap (200 baht). We headed to the beach and found that it had fire twirlers so we sat in the sand and enjoyed the view of both the enthusiastic performers and the lapping of the incoming tide. The edge of the water was full of small fish which were understandably skittish as was repeatedly shown with small stones thrown in their direction...

Day 1. An overcast day. I heard the door close next door to our room and saw that it had been vacated. It was an improvement to the current room as it had a balcony with a hammock. It took a bit of convincing but I managed to get the room cleaned and we quickly moved in before heading off on our trip at 930am. Our escort walked us and a group of slow moving Malaysians out to the boat in a round about way. When we arrived we found the boat full and no seats for us so had to sit on the engine cover which turned out to be quite a good spot.

Ko Phi Phi Don. Spectacular! First stop was the entrance to maya bay. Crystal clear water and bright coral in 4-6m water. Nice snorkelling. Lots of fish and lots of variety. Could see maya beach or at least the bits that didn't have people or boats on it. Very nice spot. We moved to Maya beach and added our boat and people to the already crowded beach. Vanessa and I went snorkelling rather than join the circus but came back later and walked along the beach.Next spot was at the south end of the island. The coral was spectacular as was the fish variety.

Bamboo Island. Spectacular! lots of white sand beaches with a lot of coral reef about 50 m out. Water was crystal clear and had shallow reef. Vanessa and I snorkelled for about 2hrs in the dropping tide and at one stage had to navigate our way through the maze of coral covered by shallow water to get out to deeper water. We were worried we might damage the coral so it was small stroke with the hands, suck in the belly and no flipper kicks. It was funny to see some of the fish protecting their territory and more than once I got a flick on the flipper and once a nip on the backside from a pretty pink striped fish about 20cm long. We found a squid which wasn't as excited to see us and zoomed off rapidly and an 'alligator' fish which was about 1m long, skinny and had a mouth about 15cm long. The were plenty of clown fish in the area so it was worth the time to explore. We had an extreme case of dish pan hands by the time we got back to the boat.

Mosquito Island. Spectacular! Steep cliffs, a cave on shore and green water leading to a beach. There were leaves turning red on some of the trees which looked almost deciduous which broke up the green of the jungle. Some one saw a jellyfish from the boat and noone seemed to want to swim across to the coral for a look. I went in for a look after Vanessa 'volunteered' me. The water clarity wasn't as good as other spots but it was interesting coral as it went from shallow to dropping into deep water in a matter of a few metres. I indicated it was worth a snorkel and the others followed. Vanessa found another eel in about 4m down hiding in some coral and I went for a better look. It was brown with a black dot and it was the third we had seen for the day. We didn't stay long as we were worn out.

Stopped and watch some dolphins on the way round the east side of Ko Phi Phi lay.

Ko Phi Phi Lay. Spectacular!

Monkey beach. Spectacular! One monkey beach? Well one well fed monkey anyway. The guide fed it some fruit then other people fed it some fruit then others fed it some fruit....think the very popular monkey will have a stomach ache later. There must have been 20 people crowding around the monkey posing for photographs. The price of being on the tour boat itinerary. It actually was a beautiful setting and not far from the main village with jungle on a steep hill, a white sandy beach, crystal clear water and nice coral not far from shore. Vanessa and I went for a snorkel rather than hassle the monkey. It is only a short kayak so will have to revisit the location in better light.

All locations visited were spectacular! Ko Phi Phi lives up to the reviews and hype. The islands have karst formations. Imagine slicing open a large limestone cave and this is what is seen on the cliffs of the islands. The islands are covered with lush jungle and are surrounded by crystal clear warm water and coral of different type sometimes being fluorescent blue, yellow, green or purple in colour. The coral can been shallow, medium of deeply located but spectacular in either case. Add a large variety and quantity of fish.

We were on our way back when the boat motor stopped. Our seat on the motor cover had been warm to hot all day which was great to add a bit of warmth after being in the water. The motor cover was lifted and smoke poured out. The captain got some fresh water and poured it onto the motor which was on fire and once the smoke cleared a little we could see  that some of the wiring was on fire! It reminded me of an incident at a market in Chang Mai. We had just stepped over a power cable that went from a power outlet on a pole, along the ground and over to power a single light bulb on a stall. It caught fire the instant we stepped over it and looked like the fuse about to blow a stick of dynamite in an old western movie! We kept walking as I expected the whole market to catch fire any moment but no doubt water was used to get it under control and then the power would have been turned off (in that order).

The wiring needed a little more water to completely extinguish the flames on the boats motor. The captain looked grave and gave the motor another try but there was no starting it.

So we were stuck about 3km from the main village at Ko Phi Phi Don but could not be seen as we were not in line of sight. The captain dropped and anchor and then proceeded to discover that his mobile phone could not get any telephone reception, he had no flares, and the light was fading quickly into the night. Some people were getting anxious and one suggested seriously 'can we just get people with flippers in the water on the back of the boat to push it?'  We were on a large wooden boat. Hmmm. Perhaps not. One of the Malaysian girls was quite funny calling out half heartedly for help to a ship passing in the distance. Soon after we heard 'Jesus loves me yes I know' coming from the same voice from the back of the boat. Perhaps the cry from help was not meant to be funny. Most people were pretty casual about the situation even if the bilge pump was regularly moving about 10 lt of water from the boat every 10 minutes. A Brazilian couple in front of us were also taking the situation very seriously as well making animal shadows onto the life jackets a couple of rows in front of them  . Were we doomed to stay the night in a leaky boat with no one to rescue us? No. Luckily someone finally got reception and the captain called for help.  Help arrived about 40min later and we had a dangerous transfer from one boat to another with a bit of a swell. The boats banging together and then the gap opening up widely in the swell in an unpredictable manner. We had to step over the railing of the original boat then over the railing of the onto the recue boat. One person narrowly escaped getting a leg crushed but in the end all got across safely and back to the port. So we ended up getting an evening cruise on top of our day trip. An excellent but long day out which we really enjoyed.

We still haven't found a good place to eat yet but are still looking in hope. Update. We found Samee, a tsunami survivor, who has a small restaurant which is quite nice.

Day 2. Today we walked out to long beach through the mess of accommodation and resorts. I particularly like the tree house on one of the small beach on the way. The path was in a poor state and we had to use a rope to get down to the beach. Long boats are the usual way to get to the beach so they probably prefer the track to be difficult to keep business. There is a small island about 150m off shore and we snorkelled out to it spotting a large black tip reef shark well below us at one stage but we weren't on the menu. We were probably more likely to be run over by a speedboat or long tail boat than be eaten by a shark. The area had great coral but visibility was a little lower than yesterday but still great. We snorkelled all the way back to the main village. Vanessa spotted a stingray with a black and white striped tail in the sand on the way. I was feeling low on energy so we went back to the room and I napped the afternoon away after our late lunch.

We sat on the beach again in the evening just out of reach of the calm water lightly lapping at the sand. Fire twirlers were putting on a fine display at one end of the beach and lightning flashing in the distance out to sea in front of us as the full moon poked its head out from the clouds for a look. Very pleasant.

Lets hope the damn Spanish downstairs don't decide that 3am is a great time for a loud conversation again tonight or we may have to declare war.
 

Bye for Now,

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.