Existing Member?

World Adventure

Bangkok, Thailand

THAILAND | Monday, 1 March 2010 | Views [723]

Hi All,

We had a final breakfast and said our goodbyes to Hanna and headed off. There was plenty of time as our flight to Gungzhou was at 410pm and it was only 10am. Things were going well when we picked up the direct bus to Guilin leaving about 5 min after we arrived at the bus station. It took just over 1hr and we then needed to find a bus to the airport and this is where things went a little astray. Touts really are convincing. We already knew how to get to the airport but for some reason we didn't ignore his offer to take us to a new bus to the airport ( turkey flashbacks??). We ended up on a slow old local bus which didn't look like it was going anywhere near the airport and I figured we probably would either be dropped off somewhere near the airport entrance or the bus would terminate and we would have to catch it back to Guilin and try again. Sure enough the bus dropped us off in what appeared to be the middle of nowhere, smiled and pointed. A friendly tuk tuk driver offered to give us a lift for 20 yuan which was excessive and I declined with certainty and unpolitely, which also showed my mood at that point.There were no English speaks too be found anywhere so Vanessa made the universal sign for a plane that a 3 year would make and  a couple who also got off the bus made a reciprocal gesture  with their arms raised  and pointed us in the same direction as the bus driver had so we headed along with relative confidence. I described to Vanessa what I would do to the tout if I caught up with him. Luckily we got over a crest on the road and could see the Guilin airport. So it was about a 1.5km walk from the bus dropping us off to getting to the airport. Vanessa pointed out that the tout did get us on a bus that got us to the airport (near enough) and it didn't cost us any more than the expected price. This did not improve my mood.  

We watched a movie then checked in and waited for our boarding...and waited...and boarding time came and went and no call or plane. I asked the desk person but she spoke no english and resorted to showing   us a translation sheet which said that the plane was delayed but couldn't tell me for how long. Hmmm. Then about 10 min later the plane turned up and we boarded about 10 min later. Odd. It wasn't really a problem for us as we chose a late flight to Bangkok to provide a lot of time buffering in case of delays.

So we arrived at Guangzhou with about 4hr to spare. Such is life. Big airport. We needed to find something to eat for dinner anyway but found prices high. Even considered a chicken burger at mcdonalds but decided that there were other options.There were plenty of 2 minutes noodles for sale but no hot water available. Not  much use. Then it dawned on us that we had water and a mini kettle and all we needed was power. We looked around and found a powerpoint. Excellent...beef noodles for dinner for 12 yuan!(2AUD) 

Time went pretty quick and we turned up at check-in a few minutes before opening allowing us to be first at the counter. Strangely even during the check-in process an asian was standing right next to me with his passport as if he could check in in parallel. Odd. I just spread my wings a little more widely. No such thing as personal space...

We were flying air asia which is very much like Virgin airlines. No frills. No first class. No food unless pre purchased prior to the flight. Very basic but the staff were nice. We were delayed for about 45min waiting for a late connecting flight before heading off. It wasn't long before I snuck up to the front of the plane to 3 empty seats and curled up for some sleep so the 3hr flight was quite quick for me and we arrived at 140am. Another big fat carbon footprint. Promise to plant a tree when I get back to Australia.

For the first time in 2 years our bags were first onto the carousel then to get to our hostel which was located near the airport. We headed over to the taxi stand and found that it was much more expensive than we expected so retreated back inside and found information. They told us that the taxi stand was the best way to get to the hostel so we ended back out there. I call them smiling gold tooth criminals and in this case it felt like they were part of the taxi mafia. We asked the price of a taxi at the front desk controller and she said it would cost about 200 baht (about AUD 8) but when we asked the driver about 5 metres after driving off he said it would cost 400 baht. We corrected the error in his ways and told him firmly it was 200 baht and probably should be less. He should have been using his meter anyway.

We arrived at the hostel without problem and our room was waiting for us. It was still quite hot outside even in the early morning. We had booked an economy room with airconditioning. Interestingly the wall airconditioning unit had been divided by a room partition so that only half of it was available to the room. Technically correct in the description. Cheapskates.

We boiled some water before bed and then I demonstrated by accident how to shrink a plastic bottle by pouring boiling hot water from the kettle into it. Oops. A bit tired.

Next day.

Early checkout. We found that we needed the services of a taxi again as it was just less hassle to get to the old town section of Bangkok. The cost estimate didn't include the 70 baht in tolls and the ride alone cost 150 baht. Not too bad but when we arrived the driver pulled the old 'I haven't got any change trick' and I told him he was doing his bit for the gold tooth taxi drivers across the world. We managed to get some change off the hotel front desk and he still decided to short change us. I did notice at the time but decided it just wasn't worth the effort for such a trivial amount. Well at least some things in the world do not change.

We checked in then headed off to the weekend markets. Well we jumped on a bus and hoped that we would find them. There were plenty of other tourists so we figured that they were going as well and decided we would get off the bus when they did. Good guess. It was really hot in the markets. First day of heat for us and it was tough. Day temperature is about 36 deg C. Too much for us at the moment so we retreated back to the hotel. Same trick. Didn't know where to get off but heard another tourist say our street so decided to get off when she did. Worked perfectly.

Hid in the room for the heat of the day and enjoyed the airconditioning before heading out for a wander to one of the worlds most famous backpacker market streets - kao san. So many tourists and not our usual travel companions. Feels a bit too much like a tacky tourist theme park. We have decided that we need to get away from the tourist trail and back onto the traveller trail ASAP. Have we become travel snobs?

Bye,

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.