Existing Member?

World Adventure

Moscow

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Wednesday, 16 December 2009 | Views [842]

Hi Comrades,

The temperature when we arrived at the hostel was -28 deg C!

We checked into a refreshingly good hostel called Godzillas only about 1km from the Kremlin and grabbed a few more hours of sleep.

So when we got up and had our breakfast it was nice to see that the temperature had improved slightly to -24 Deg C. We put more layers of clothing on that we wore at Velikiy Novgorod and headed out for a walk to Red square. The locals looked cold and we  were also  starting to feel the cold by the time we arrived at the square. The fact that we could see our exhaled breath forming a mist of crystals that dissipated into the air we each breath was a sure sign that it was cold.We watched a bit of ice skating before heading to St Basils church for some photographs then decided that it was time to retreated to the GUM shopping arcade to warm up and defrost our eyelashes which were starting to become a frosted . After scanning the very expensive array of shops in the arcade we decided  that it was time to venture out again and  decided to visit the Lenin mausoleum which has displayed the embalmed Lenin in a cabinet since 1924.

Visiting is a no nonsense event with Russian guards on each corner. So when we got inside and the first guard raised his hand to his hat I thought 'very friendly' then when I got to the second guard and he did the same I realised that I needed to take off my beanie. Vanessa claims that she said that she told me the same (Strike 1). Then we got to the viewing position and I momentarily stopped and said to Vanessa 'he is smaller than I expected' (strike 2 - no talking) then a guard gave me an encouraging shove to get moving (strike 3 - no stopping to stare at Lenin). I hope it wasn't interpeted as disrespectful as it was just surprise and morbid curiosity to see the person who led the revolution that caused the downfall of the tzarist empire 80+ years after his death.

We went back into the GUM shopping arcade again to warm up before heading back to the hostel.

Just doing a bit of reading on Russian and we have discovered that we missed a display in St Petersburg. Perhaps the secret to Rasputins success and ultimate demise.  Here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputin%27s_penis

Better known as Rasputin's Cucumber ;-)

Bye,

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.